I can almost hear the cheering in Whitehall

Forum Editor 16:47 07 Jan 2017

from here.

If you wondered what the definition of the word petulance was, look no further.

csqwared 17:07 07 Jan 2017

Sorry FE, link doesn't work for me.

Forum Editor 17:14 07 Jan 2017

csqwared

Thank you - I posted the wrong link, intended for another thread. The link should work OK now.

Teabag. 17:59 07 Jan 2017

Well I had to look it up via google :- )

And agree with you.

I suppose he will still get a nice golden handshake and a nice pension for being a failure.

morddwyd 18:09 07 Jan 2017

I doubt he'll be unemployed for long and his pension will help cushion the blow.

In fact, of course, his position in the Civil Service would have been virtually untenable after such a public split. No matter where they put him his superiors, and, perhaps more importantly, his subordinates, wold jave been aware of it the whole time. As Sir Humphrey would say, "I'm not quire sure he's sound."

Burn-it 23:41 07 Jan 2017

I don't think he will get a full pension; he resigned!! He probably has a private fund squirreled away somewhere. He won't work again.

morddwyd 08:58 08 Jan 2017

"I don't think he will get a full pension; he resigned"

Dream on!

Old Deuteronomy 11:24 08 Jan 2017

Whitehall will be particularly pleased to see him out of the Service, as he was probably right in his criticism.

Forum Editor 12:11 08 Jan 2017

Old Deuteronomy

"....he was probably right in his criticism."

We have no way of knowing, but that wasn't really the problem with this man. He seemed to be incapable of accepting the status quo, and that prevented him from being efficient. He was an ardent Remain supporter, and appeared not to be able to adjust to the fact that we voted to leave.

Whether or not his point of view was right, his job was to assist the government. Instead, he decided to launch streams of critical emails, and in the end it was obvious that he would have to be gone before official negotiations started - he would have been a liability. Unfortunately, he couldn't do it gracefully; he had to fire parting shots, making sure they were leaked to the press.

We are better off without him.

LastChip 13:37 08 Jan 2017

Experience or no experience, we are certainly better off without him.

We need a representative that is an optimist and has a positive view in getting the best outcome, not a pessimist.

If Sir Tim Barrow pulls off a good result, his profile will hit the roof. He'll probably be the one ambassador of this country that many people will be able to name. I suspect he'll be constantly in the media, whether he wishes it or not.

This coming year or so will be huge in a political sense and for anyone interested, fascinating. History will be made. I for one (sad perhaps?) am looking forward to it.

Forum Editor 14:33 08 Jan 2017

"This coming year or so will be huge in a political sense and for anyone interested, fascinating. History will be made. I for one (sad perhaps?) am looking forward to it."

One thing's for sure, it will provide us with a rich source of discussion topics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs