HS2 Is it necessary at this time?

bremner 12:20 21 Aug 2019

The government his two review whether we really need HS2 BBC Article

I cannot support a scheme to get some quicker to Manchester or Birmingham, that is likely to cost in excess of £100B at a time when:

• The NHS and social care, education, policing, fire services, local government etc etc are massively underfunded.
  • The one train line into Cornwall is regularly out of action due to it passing so close to the sea.
  • Many rural communities have broadband that struggles to reach 4Mb

My list could go on and on.

What do you think?

Quickbeam 07:09 26 Aug 2019

wee eddie

'I also believe that the EU is heading for the Junkyard and that the UK is better out of it'

This is something that I hear quoted often as a conclusive reason to leave the EU, but it comes over as a bit of desperate justification to Brexit as no evidence other than having the general approval from the bus stop queue to support it. Even the FE quoted it recently!

But it's all conjecture... Personnally if Scotland breaks away, my gut feeling is that the monarchy will be under a real threat of abolition. As the Union is seen to dissolve, people will ask for what purpose do they exist?

Quickbeam 07:10 26 Aug 2019

Well the post was due a further deviation...

john bunyan 07:40 26 Aug 2019

QB

If you really wanted to create a deviation you could have mentioned the effect on the Monarchy of Edward’s judgement on friends, and Fergie and Sarah’s backhanders from a Chinese businessman!

Quickbeam 07:50 26 Aug 2019

lol!

Dunk 08:09 26 Aug 2019

Quickbeam

You say "You're writing as though Scotland is already gone and wanting back."

Where on earth did I imply that? My only point was "If they want to go, let them, as they are draining our wealth".

The latest polls I can find on the subject say 52% yes and 48% no (coincidence about it being the same as Brexit), and it's not just the SNP wanting to leave.

Another interesting fact I found was that if Scotland had the same voting system as we have the SNP would have won every seat in Scotland, possibly bar one. Until then I thought they counted votes in elections the same as us for Westminster. 'Larn summat every day'.

Re 'deviation' Andy Airmiles looks like he's trying his best to upset the monarchy.

Quickbeam 09:24 26 Aug 2019

Dunk

'we have our own problem areas.' Carries the suggestion that Scotland isn't 'ours' any longer...

No matter what sort of nation make up we are, there will always be areas that are more prosperous than others and have to support other less prosperous areas.

Remember Passport to Pimlico? How far do we go on this journey of independence? There is a lot to be lost Vs the argued gains in going down the sod 'em all, we're alright Jack route.

If anything over the last 3 years, is that I've become more appreciative of unions. Our own home Union, and the European Union of which I gone from being a Euro sceptic, to becoming more Europhile than Ken Clarke himself!

Quickbeam 09:51 26 Aug 2019

Speaking of the devil... just announced today, these towns will benefit from the prosperous endeavours of the south east.

Would it be right for the south east to cry out SOD 'EM! Let's just look after ourselves and be better off without them...

morddwyd 10:26 26 Aug 2019

No chance of a Tory government up there, I'm afraid. But I'll keep looking as I'm interested now

I'm afraid you misread my post.

I was referring to a Tory government post independence, not before, which is a real possibility.

Don't forget that unlike the "First past the post" system at Westminster, Scotland has a form of proportional representation.

This means that in addition to the "First past the post" constituency MSPs, there are a large number of "list" MSPs, elected in proportion to the number of votes cast for unsuccessful candidates, of all parties.

This makes for interesting times, and minority governments, like the current SMP government, are the norm.

Even now if the Greens, the only other pro-independence party, withdrew their support for the SNP the Lib Dems, always on the lookout for a ministerial limo, could offer their support to the Tories, like Nick Clegg did, and we could see Ruth Davidson in Bute House (our number 10) before the end of the year without even the whiff of a ballot box (not very likely I admit)!

Many, like me, see the SNP as a means to an end, not the end in itself.

As some of you may recall, I am a true blue Tory from Vermin Club days, and see Margaret as the greatest PM since Pitt the Younger, but I, like others, have consistently voted SNP since independence became a viable possibility.

This despite the fact that their politics, apart from independence are an anathema to me. Nicola Sturgeon is more left wing than Jeremy Corbyn!

Sorry about the Civics lesson, but I had obviously failed to make myself clear on a number of points.

Pine Man 10:27 26 Aug 2019

50 towns to share £1bn to improve high streets

Referring to QB's post above.

A surprising number of southern towns actually benefit and, once again, Boris keeps on writing the cheques BUT can the country honour them?

Quickbeam 10:49 26 Aug 2019

"...can the country honour them?" Isn't that why cancelling HS2 is on the cards?

And what goes around comes back around back to HS2...

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs