HS2 Is it necessary at this time?

bremner 12:20 21 Aug 2019

The government his two review whether we really need HS2 BBC Article

I cannot support a scheme to get some quicker to Manchester or Birmingham, that is likely to cost in excess of £100B at a time when:

• The NHS and social care, education, policing, fire services, local government etc etc are massively underfunded.
  • The one train line into Cornwall is regularly out of action due to it passing so close to the sea.
  • Many rural communities have broadband that struggles to reach 4Mb

My list could go on and on.

What do you think?

Quickbeam 14:55 22 Aug 2019

So we should regress...

Quickbeam 19:23 23 Aug 2019

Ditch cars to meet climate change targets say MPs.

And in the next breath they don't want to pay for the alternative that would be needed.

But then again they don't know what they want with Brexit, so we shouldn't be surprised that they contradict themselves over HS2...

Quickbeam 19:31 23 Aug 2019

They had a rail man on the radio today that explained why the capacity is a problem:

As trains get faster, they need an ever increasing length of safe, but dead rail space in front of them. Move the fastest trains off of the existing network, and that network can then operate at the same efficiency as it was intended to when 80 mph was considered to be a very fast speed.

An interestingly simples explanation I thought.

morddwyd 10:01 24 Aug 2019

The last place to need major investment is London and the South East.

HS2 should run north from Birmingham - Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle.

Invest in the northern powerhouse, not the southeastern sponge.

Pine Man 10:32 24 Aug 2019

Invest in the northern powerhouse, not the southeastern sponge.

Ahh the old north/south divide rears it's ugly head!

When the north pays it's fair share like the south, then they can complain.

Dunk 12:17 24 Aug 2019

Pine Man

"When the North pays it's fair share.....", of what, exactly? I didn't realise we had different taxation systems in different regions of England.

Pine Man 12:44 24 Aug 2019

I didn't realise we had different taxation systems in different regions of England.

It's not about taxation it's about the significantly cheaper cost of living in the north generally and, before you shout, that includes wages.

Dunk 13:09 24 Aug 2019

Pine Man

"...and, before you shout,...."

Firstly, I have never had a predisposition to "shout", so I'm not quite sure why that remark was needed. Secondly, I didn't actually see any answer to my actual query, which was " a fair share of what, exactly"?

Care to take another swing at it?

Pine Man 13:51 24 Aug 2019

Care to take another swing at it?

...yes but not a shout.

Don't be too quick to take offence. I merely used the word shout to avoid a response based on wage differences. Nothing more, nothing less.

I used to live in the northwest of England and moved to the southeast. Having done so I found a significant difference in the cost of living, which was not ameliorated by an increase in wages. I am happy to continue living in the south and accept the additional cost that it involves. Also, I am told, have been blessed with a higher standard of living associated with those costs.

One assumes that if the north wants the same as the south it will come at a cost and, who knows, the divide may close.

To put the whole thing into context I was merely responding to morddwyd's comment on the south eastern sponge.

Now I'm out into the sun, which is hotter in the southeast but not necessarily better!

Dunk 17:42 24 Aug 2019

pine man

Sorry, but that is still not answering my question. The south of England benefits greatly from all sorts of public expenditure (particularly in London), Crossrail, sewers, Heathrow, Thames Barrier etc etc - which are paid for out of general taxation from all of us, North and South.

morddwyd is correct, England is unbalanced between N and S.

Does Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc get the same level of spending as London?

It really is about taxation, since that is the only money which Parliament can decide where to spend. It's a choice, so why does the SE get the biggest share of 'public' projects, which then increases employment , then house prices?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs