How not to run a whelk stall

oresome 18:22 06 Dec 2015

I often read how efficient UK retailers are.

So why did it seem a good idea to have a young checkout operator on the till this morning who was unable to process alcohol sales?

We are in the run up to the festive season and just about every shopper had alcohol in their trolley.

Each and ever transaction needed authorisation from an older person who had to be summoned across and had to input multiple key strokes to authorise the sale.

I was waiting at the checkout where the older person had to break off his own work to authorise the sales. He was getting to the end of his tether and actually counting out loud to ten to calm himself down.

Pine Man 18:31 06 Dec 2015

Following your thoughts no persons under 18 can work on tills in supermarkets/stores etc at this time of year - really?

spuds 18:48 06 Dec 2015

Perhaps off subject slightly, but I was nearly stopped from purchasing a frozen 400gm Cottage Pie pack, the other in day in our local Co-op.

Apparently you had to be over 18, according to the till. The checkout staff thought it very amusing!.

Belatucadrus 18:49 06 Dec 2015

Usual response around here is to put up a sign saying

" No alcohol sales at this checkout ".

Not infallible, there's always some twit that either doesn't notice or assumes that it couldn't possibly mean them. But generally gets the job done.

spuds 19:10 06 Dec 2015

"Not infallible, there's always some twit that either doesn't notice or assumes that it couldn't possibly mean them."

Bit like the nine items or less checkouts, when someone as more. But having said that, are those checkouts around nowadays, all our local supermarkets seem to have done away with them?.

A bit of Dave Allen supermarket ten minute cheer click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:45 06 Dec 2015

:0) Dave Allen brilliant

Devil Fish 21:44 08 Dec 2015

The checkout operator has to be at least 16 years of age and they can sell alcohol with approval from a senior member of staff 18 years of age or over.this is certainly the case for supermarkets not sure how law is applied in smaller stores

bumpkin 22:00 08 Dec 2015

:0) Dave Allen brilliant

Just watched it, my kind of humour.

oresome 11:49 09 Dec 2015

Dave Allen was a such a great observer of life. Sadly missed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs SSD