How much sleep do you get?

simonjary 08:05 13 Jul 2019

Apparently Ministers may advise on how much sleep people need.

General advice seems to be between 7 and 8 hours of sleep is what you need, and it's an increasingly important health metric.

I recommend Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, which will keep you up at night with its grim reading for people who skimp on their shuteye. Then you will be aiming for 8 hours every night if you can!

wee eddie 08:57 13 Jul 2019

Throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's, I appeared to function quite well on about 4 hours sleep each night, while indulging in a particularly rackety lifestyle and then running a Restaurant for 25 years.

I would suggest that the human body is programmed to sleep when it's dark which , of course, varies as to the part of the world you live in and the season of the year.

I am not saying that what he is saying is Horlicks but, in order to qualify for his Research Grant, he needs to publish a Book/Paper now and again

wee eddie 08:57 13 Jul 2019

Cynical, moi!

morddwyd 10:08 13 Jul 2019

Wow! Really scraping the barrel now for some pointless thread on a so called tech site.

I suggest you wait and see how many responses there are! Can't be any more boring than "Do You Like Music"!

Difficult to estimate sleep levels' I turn my light out at 11.30 but getting up two or three times a night means that turning it on again is a movable feast, any time between 5.30 and 8.45 (7.20 this morning).

However it's a rare day when I dun't drop off for an odd hour mid-afternoon.

Cymro. 10:29 13 Jul 2019

I have always managed well enough on 6 or 7 hours but as I get older I seem to need much less and now get on very well on 4 or 5 hours. I must admit I do listen to the radio at all hours some very good stuff on in the early hours.

Pine Man 10:35 13 Jul 2019

Wow! Really scraping the barrel now for some pointless thread on a so called tech site.

This is Speakers Corner and within its descrption you will find - 'There's no need to restrict discussions to computing, or computer related topics'.

Seems pretty clear to me.

morddwyd 12:33 13 Jul 2019

Seems pretty clear to me.

And even if it isn't Simon is the gaffer and can make his own rules (not that he ever would, of course!).

john bunyan 12:56 13 Jul 2019

In my 30’s In a military role I once had a 3 week stint running a particularly difficult exercise, living out of a Bergen. I averaged about 3 hours a night; began to have short catnaps when sitting but functioned OK. Never been a big sleeper; these nights I get about 6 or 7 hours of broken sleep max. It seems to be an individual thing, some needing more than others

mrgrumpy 13:46 13 Jul 2019

I don't need a government minister to tell me when I need sleep. Sometimes I nod off in front of tv sometimes I don't , I watch tv for a few hours at night then surf or game for a few hours before going to bed.

I am due to retire next Friday and class myself pretty fit and active so just for the fun of it I looked up how long I would have to do gaming to get into the Guinness book of records and raise a few quid for charity.

unless I was looking in the wrong place the world record is 138 hours but I read somewhere that you can no longer do this record attempt because lack of sleep can kill you quicker than lack of food

Brumas 14:39 13 Jul 2019

not half as much as I need since Fran developed sinusitis and now snores like a stuck pig!!

Oh, before anyone in the same position rushes out to buy earplugs - they don't bloomin work!!!

canarieslover 15:19 13 Jul 2019

Brumas - Try putting them up Fran's nose, they'll be more effective there and the bonus is that you don't get sweaty ears.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Clip Studio Paint for iPhone arrives for those wanting to make comics on their phone

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs chargeurs sans fil (2019)