How much do you spend on a night out?

Cymro. 14:18 01 Jul 2019

BBC link

When I saw this on a BBC site I thought I would have a look expecting to be shocked by the amount the youngsters of today do spend but allowing for inflation the amount was rather lower than I expected. When I used to go out on the rasol some years ago now I expected to get away with spending a couple of fivers and usual no more unless there was food and taxis to pay for. Yes that was a long time ago married now over 45 years.

Govan1x 18:58 02 Jul 2019

60 years ago you could go out with Ten Bob in your pocket, have a good drink and get fish and chips on the way back home and still have change in your pocket.

Mind you I think that must have been about the last time I was out.

Gordon Freeman 20:08 02 Jul 2019

Four Yorkshiremen Monty Python sketch anyone?

Menzie 21:05 02 Jul 2019

The figures that I'm seeing quoted by some wouldn't even cover parking in many a city.

When I was in London and went out in the capital or various boroughs. The parking could run anything from £5-20 for the night. Now with the congestion charge, charge for diesel emissions etc. it would be more expensive than ever.

john bunyan 22:26 02 Jul 2019

If you drink on a night out parking doesn’t apply as you don’t take a car there!

These days for us it’s either a local pub meal at about £30 for two or OAP fish and chips take away at £9 for 2 (including mushy peas)

Menzie 22:47 02 Jul 2019

Depends, usually we have a designated driver. Either that or we take Ride Sharing service or taxi.

Metred taxis are expensive, I think as soon as you step into one London side these days it charges you about £3 before you even move.

oresome 08:15 03 Jul 2019

An occasional trip to a provincial theatre can cost us around £45 per seat plus £10 each way for the taxi. I usually avoid the inflated prices for drinks and ice cream at the interval.

Old Deuteronomy 10:56 03 Jul 2019

An occasional trip to a provincial theatre can cost us around £45 per seat plus £10 each way for the taxi. I usually avoid the inflated prices for drinks and ice cream at the interval.

We go to the local am-dram, in the village hall of the next village. A five minute drive each way and tickets around £7 each. Always enjoyable.

Menzie 12:50 03 Jul 2019

Still all cheaper than a day out at a sporting event.

I went to watch a basketball game last year. The tickets for seats quite a distance from the action were $70.

A small plastic cup of beer and a slice of pizza came up to $25. The same franchise that they have in the stadium is on the outside and what they charge for a slice literally gets you a whole pizza on the outside.

Want a t-shirt with the team logo on it to remember your visit? That'll be $50. And don't get me started on the price of the official kits. You can buy a good graphics card for your PC and have change left over for a game to show it off.

oresome 19:12 03 Jul 2019

Called at a 'spoons in Skipton today and had a breakfast.

No complaints with the cleanliness of the place, including the toilets, but the breakfast was lukewarm at best. Should have guessed when it turned up so quick.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)