How much do you spend on a night out?

Cymro. 14:18 01 Jul 2019

BBC link

When I saw this on a BBC site I thought I would have a look expecting to be shocked by the amount the youngsters of today do spend but allowing for inflation the amount was rather lower than I expected. When I used to go out on the rasol some years ago now I expected to get away with spending a couple of fivers and usual no more unless there was food and taxis to pay for. Yes that was a long time ago married now over 45 years.

oresome 16:54 01 Jul 2019

I have been known to splash out £20 at Wetherspoons on steak night. That's for two with a bottle of wine of course.

Menzie 17:18 01 Jul 2019

It depends, on my birthday I've splashed out quite a bit for a weekend out. I took a weekend off in Ibiza which consisted of nights spent in clubs drinking beer and having shots.

Cost of the actual hotel and flight aside it cost me about €50-60 Euro a night in drinks as entry to all the club's I saw were free.

It would have bee more but I kept getting drinks from my friends, other patrons at the bar and extras from the bartenders.

The most I spend on a night out now is around $50. Usually I gather enough friends to get a booth. That way we have drinks for the night (two bottles of something included plus Unlimited mixers) and space to actually dance.

Old Deuteronomy 20:17 01 Jul 2019

Not really a going out person these days but, back when pubs still had a peasouper of cigarette smoke by mid evening, I rarely spent more than a tenner.

As for the above mentioned Wetherspoons, went in one once in Taunton. It was early lunchtime, the floor was still sticky from the evening before and the staff appeared to be deaf and blind. Never been in one since.

Quickbeam 20:18 01 Jul 2019

A fiver...

oresome 10:27 02 Jul 2019

Re Wetherspoons, you can overcome any time waiting to be served by using their app. The food and drink is then brought to you which then gives you plenty of time to clean the table and brush the muck off the seats.

Menzie 12:53 02 Jul 2019

People eat in Wetherspoons?! I only went to my local one on a Friday Night since it turned into a night club. They removed the tables and chairs, brought in a DJ and some bouncers and it was a club.

They closed at 2am however so afterwards we'd go to another club that was around the corner which finished at 5am.

I can't do that nowadays, staying out late takes its toll on me the following morning.

wee eddie 15:33 02 Jul 2019

As an ex-Taxi driver I can only report the past but, youngsters I have carried were discussing having spent £200 to £300 for their evening

dagbladet 15:41 02 Jul 2019

My only experience of 'spoons' is when I was staying in Hawick in the Scottish borders. It was a lovely bright clean place. The fish and chips was the best I've had anywhere and the beer was cool and fresh. I can't remember exactly what I spent but two fish suppers, two pints and two cokes were less than £20.

grumpy old man 16:01 02 Jul 2019

I am not tight fisted with money but I think some places seem to think they can get away with charging what they want for drinks. they even throw in the comment is that a single or double.

During an evening meal at say brewers fair I only have one pint of anything as I don't really like heavy booze mixed with the food I am eating. Back in the premier inn where I will be having my overnight stay I take a bottle of whiskey and my wife has a gin and tonic. The reason I do this is because a restaurant working pal watched me pour a whiskey at home and when he saw my glass he said I would have charged you £20 for that.

At the weekend I went to a wedding and the hotel were charging £8 50p for a small glass of chardonnay wine. I know how much I went out with and the next day I was shocked at what was left in my wallet. That's one hell of a profit on a supermarket bottle of wine ……. the napkin fell off and I saw the label.

lotvic 18:19 02 Jul 2019

Hope that's a small bottle of Whiskey KEITH, don't want to sleep in and miss breakfast ;-)

Cost of my modest night out, meal and couple of drinks about £30.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)