How many wasted items have you bought.

bumpkin 20:23 05 Apr 2017

I do like gadgets but so often find them short lived or just useless in the first place. Examples re-chargeable vacuum cleaners, electric can openers , toasted sandwich makers and endless other junk. What are your experiences?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:45 05 Apr 2017

No its usually hard drives in a fancy box - you can make one out of an Old PC

Forum Editor 22:51 05 Apr 2017

bumpkin

A NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. It's just a fancy name for a file server. Attached to a network, it is designed to provide a group of devices access to data files.

In simple terms, it's a local Cloud - any device on the network can access the content. It has obvious advantages in situations where multiple devices need to access the same files, but for the average home user it also has disadvantages - one of which is speed. A NAS drive can't come close to an ordinary USB external hard drive when it comes to transfer times.

bumpkin 22:54 05 Apr 2017

- you can make one out of an Old PC

How? and what is the point when I have an external caddy drive.

bumpkin 22:55 05 Apr 2017

Thanks FE.

bumpkin 23:08 05 Apr 2017

Another one I was recently tempted by was a constant boiling water thing, holds about 7ltrs and you just press a button for instant boiling water any time of day for your, coffee, tea or whatever, cost about £80. I have a kettle that is much smaller and cheaper that can boil water when I require it and in the right quantity if I have a few minutes patience. Gave that idea a miss.

BT 08:47 06 Apr 2017

Nose Hair Trimmer - use mine all the time, handy for the hairy ears too!

Sandwich Toaster - Had one of those that press them into triangles full of cheese as hot as Lava. Now got a Pannini Press type which just toasts the sandwiches flat and its used regularly.

Giant Torch - This has a rechargeable Lead/acid battery which powers the Halogen bulb for about 10 mins if you're lucky. Very bright with a very long beam but not really much use. My new LED handheld torch is almost as good and lasts for hours on one charge.

Bread Maker - used occasionally

Popcorn Maker - used occasionally.

Quickbeam 09:44 06 Apr 2017

Guilty of most of the mentioned, and I doubt that I'll learn from it!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:52 06 Apr 2017

Can't resist those JML adverts on the tiny screens at the end of an isle :0(

They sound sooo enticing, how could you possible manage without this particular gadget???

Wan'st it made by K-Tel 40 yrs ago?

:0)

bumpkin 10:10 06 Apr 2017

Anyone still use a tea maker.

Belatucadrus 11:02 06 Apr 2017

K- Tel and Ronko, what a blast from the past, the record vacuum, the automatic egg scrambler the miniature battery powered table vacuum for crumbs. All of which I wish I now had in mint condition in their original boxes. unfortunately all I saw at the time was an appalling piece of tat not a potential future collectable.

I've got loads of tools that don't get much use but usually prove invaluable on rare and inconvenient occasions so can't really call them a waste.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?