How many unfinished projects started but abandoned

bumpkin 21:29 15 Sep 2018

Have any of you or do you know someone that has taken on a project with great enthusiasm but lost interest and never finished it. Many years back a friend of mine decided to build a small hovercraft, spent a fortune then just left it halfway through. My daughter bought a big dolls house with great plans and designs, I helped her to start with but not been touched for 2 years. Known a few people that have started to renovate old cars until they get bored with it.

Brumas 21:50 15 Sep 2018

bumpkin, the dualling of the A1 past Alnwick springs to mind!! ;o}

bumpkin 22:01 15 Sep 2018

A good example but I was thinking on a smaller scale. Lack of finance is a good reason but I was thinking more of those that just lose interest or find they have taken on more than they imagined.

Aitchbee 22:07 15 Sep 2018

Without wishing to sound too elitist, I kinda know my own personal limitations, so would never embark on any such grandiose or flight-of-fancy escapades by myself.

Clearing my house of clutter is presently an on-going, long-term real-life, project, but with a-little-help-from-my friends 'n' family, I will see it through to the bitter end. [TIC not]

Creative Visualisation is a wonderful thing, bumpkin.

bumpkin 22:33 15 Sep 2018

Creative Visualisation is a wonderful thing

Yes it is and we all need it. I have had and still have many visions of things I would like to do but realize that in reality it will never happen.

Menzie 02:47 16 Sep 2018

I've got two projects, both revolve around computer systems.

I bought a Raspberry Pi 2 motherboard when they were current, a while back with the intention of building a laptop as a project. The Pi is still in the box.

I also purchased an Amiga 1200 on eBay with the aim of putting it in a tower. Something I've always wanted to do with an Amiga since 1997 but never got around to it. The Amiga 1200 still sits there untouched.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:51 16 Sep 2018

Lots in mind never started because those I've started are never finished. :0)

I can't help but keep tweaking and improving those that I supposedly have finished.

MJS WARLORD 13:13 16 Sep 2018

The reason projects remain unfinished is because people don't dig deep enough before starting. Here is a good example , I just replaced my 30 year old patio but having done it once I knew what was ahead of me. For those of you who never done one it's not just about laying slabs of concrete. This is what you do. Remove turf , level ground , lay a hard core base and compact it , make a ground plan , when laying slabs did you realise you might break some when cutting them in areas where full ones don't fit , plant shrubs , compact the ground where you are going to put slate chips then compact the chippings to make them look neat , plant spring bulbs under slate and gravel pockets , set up an umbrella type bird feeder and be prepared to keep spraying dropped seed with weed killer , be prepared to let steam come out of your ears the first time a bird drops one on you nice new patio. Then and only then can you sit back and enjoy all your hard work. DO YOU STILL WANT TO BUILD A PATIO ?

Footnote just recently I have to log in at least 3 times before I can add to a posting

bumpkin 14:05 16 Sep 2018

" people don't dig deep enough before starting."

About 6inches should be ok for a patio.

Pine Man 14:26 16 Sep 2018

Footnote just recently I have to log in at least 3 times before I can add to a posting

Probably one of the best known unfinished projects is - Tech Advisor!

Old Deuteronomy 16:41 18 Sep 2018

For some time I have been going to build myself a workbench, for woodwork. After much umming and ahing and, looking at the price of beech to make a good solid, heavy bench that won't move, I have decided not to. Going to buy one from Axminster Tools and Machinery instead. Otherwise though, once I finally get round to doing something, I do get it finished.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)