We live in a 1980s house so you would think it would be reasonably well served with sockets, but there was one outlet in the hall which I've changed to a double outlet.
The hall is the least used space in the house but the landline phone requires power as does the house alarm, then there's the door bell receiver, the weather station and the air freshener not forgetting that the vacuum cleaner requires a outlet now and again.
It has been worse, we also had a stair lift for an elderly relative at one time that required power and the modem resides elsewhere with an extended phone line.
Not a record by any means but demonstrates the need for power outlets in even lightly used space and the inadequate provision of them in probably most houses.
Hope you are not "daisy chaining" your power strips to run all your gadgets :0(
IS your power socket on the ring main or a spur off another socket? adding a power strip is like adding another set of "spurs".
My "office" (back bedroom) originally had one single socket on the ring main, I have since rewired the room to give 2 double sockets on the ring. Especially as I need to run a Homplug direct in a socket and not on a strip.
Heat in the cable of a coiled extension lead (as per your article) is not just why they melt.
The magnetic field generated round the conductor on the first winding of the coiled cable, as current passes though, interacts with the mag field on the second winding and so on. What you get is a "transformer effect" increasing the current / voltage thus causing it to melt.
You're telling me. Sometimes when I'm travelling I almost feel like a charger salesman, I have so many. Fortunately, simonjary told me about a superb backpack a while ago, and I manage to get everything in without any bother.