For how long will we remember?

Cymro. 10:55 11 Nov 2018

So a hundred years since the end of WW1 and rightly we still "remember" but for how much longer are we going to carry on remembering the fallen? All those who died plus their children are now all dead.

There is a war memorial in my home town to those who died from the county in the Boer War. Last time I saw it it was impossible to even get near enough to tread any of the names listed due to all the brambles that has been permitted to grow around the base.

Now according to this memorial the Boer War ended in 1902 so only a few years before the start of WW1. Granted the Boer War was nothing compared to WW1 but the loss to those people affected was just as great.

So just how much longer are we going to mourn the death of these brave people? I assume no one wants to carry this excellent tradition for ever. So how long then? say a hundred years, a thousand years perhaps. How long before all such memoriales are forgotten and bramble covered?

MJS WARLORD 11:51 11 Nov 2018

first things first if the brambles bothered you go back with a bin liner and shears , If a jobsworth tries to stop you complain to the council , also , I don't think the police would stop you , what could they charge you with.

To answer the title of your thread though , I am 63 and a young guy at work said how long , I said as long as it takes because you can only die once.

One bit of warfare I cant get my head round , imagine this , 20 guys are pinned down by a snipper and one person decides to go over the top and try to get the sniper. He must have known he was going to die.

Belatucadrus 12:35 11 Nov 2018

If the crowds at the service I went to are anything to go by there's no problem in our area. One of the local memorials to the fallen in WW1 was only built in 2014. The parish had been so poor after the war they couldn't afford a memorial, this has now been rectified. So even if there is nobody still living who knew those fallen, the respect for what they did and the determination not to forget is still strong.

Quickbeam 13:46 11 Nov 2018

I just attended a memorial at Penistone after an early bike ride with 4 others, it seemed that just about the whole town turned out this year. It won't bring as many out next year, but we'll still remember for this century.

The Boer War/Great War isn't a good comparison, very few villages weren't affected by the Great War, the Boer war was just a colonial skirmish in the eyes of Victorian Britain. The industrial waste of life in the Great War rocked the social order and political scene.

Brumas 14:41 11 Nov 2018

For how long will we remember?, for as long as good triumphs over evil.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 11 Nov 2018

We need to remember! so that we don't repeat the futility of another world war.

Our local town's turn out was much bigger than I expected and there will be lighting of beacons at approx 7pm tonight.

wee eddie 16:21 11 Nov 2018

Unfortunately, we will have no say in the avoidance of World Conflict should some Country's Ruler decide that he wishes to increase the size of his Domaine.

We can either, stand by and be engulfed, or engage him, to protect our freedom

canarieslover 18:07 11 Nov 2018

I don't mourn anybody from either of the world wars as I don't know anybody who gave their lives. What I do respect is that those who died did it so that the following generations could live their lives in freedom. I hope that future generations will also respect and appreciate it. I spent some time with my 5 year old grandson explaining what the ceremoney meant to us and though he didn't really understand he did manage to stay quiet for two minutes. I shall carry on explaining to him each year until he is old enough to understand and learns to respect it.

Forum Editor 09:44 14 Nov 2018

Remembering is something that individuals can do on their own for as long as they live. I think what you mean is how long will the nation continue to conduct ceremonies of remembrance?

That's a difficult question to answer. What inevitably happens as time goes on is that people who actually had any personal memories of those who died are also dead - there's no actual remembering left to do. What's left is the ritual, and rituals get into a nation's DNA.

Americans still have ceremonies of remembrance for the civil war, and the Battle of the Alamo has a whole culture of remembrance surrounding it.

My guess is that we will continue to observe the Cenotaph remembrance ceremonies and many local ceremonies elsewhere in the country for a long time, but how long will largely depend on public opinion.

dagbladet 13:49 14 Nov 2018

When Danny Boyle was conceiving the WW1 beach art project he considered whether with each portrait the artist would also literally draw a line in the sand thus when the tide washed away the image it took the line as well, thus figuratively drawing a line over WW1 commemoration after 100 years. He didn't pursue 'the line' for various reasons including his acknowledgment that it wasn't his decision to make. I thought it was an interesting (and clever) idea.

Forum Editor 13:56 14 Nov 2018

dagbladet

"I thought it was an interesting (and clever) idea."

I agree.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch