Hot Topics

How long will "panic" buying last?

wee eddie 10:26 20 Mar 2020

It is not the whole of the Nation that is packing it's Larder Shelves.

Assuming that the Supermarket shelves are being restocked on a regular basis, do you think that some sort of normality will resume.

After all, How many Rolls of Loo paper does one need.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 26 Mar 2020

Our local B&Q has enormous stocks of good quality toiule rolls.

Definitely a DIY job using toilet paper

:0)

Govan1x 12:39 26 Mar 2020

Got into my local asda shop yesterday. they only let a certain amount in There was only a few waiting outside so when I got in the place was almost deserted. I would say about 50 shoppers. And guess what there shelves were still empty for for the usual things that are needed. So stocking the shelves up at night seems to be a no go. And if you enjoy a drink at home there was practically none as those shelver were empty as well. My daughter has started to go to aldi and has been told that they get deliveries twice a day to stock up their shelves. And I suppose they are cheaper than most supermarkets.

Forum Editor 09:28 27 Mar 2020

I think that the supermarkets are slowly but surely getting to grips with the logistics issues.

Tesco has just imposed an eighty item limit on its online ordering system and that should help considerably.

In addition, the big supermarkets have been given access to the database that lists the 1.5 million people on the especially vulnerable register. Each time one of those people logs in to place an order they will automatically be prioritised for home delivery slots. It makes perfect sense.

Yet again, the big food retailers are having to hammer home the message that there is plenty of food in the supply chain - nobody is going to starve, but we will have to get used to a restricted range of products for a while.

The peak infection period is looming - probably a couple of weeks away - and if ever there was a time for us all to come together and act for the common good this is it.

Al94 10:04 27 Mar 2020

We like to make our own breads etc but cannot source flour of any description anywhere.

Pine Man 10:17 27 Mar 2020

We like to make our own breads etc but cannot source flour of any description anywhere.

I have been baking our bread for the last 30 years and never had a problem getting the ingredients. I do have a sneaking suspicion that many, who have never baked there own bread, panicked and bought flour and yeast just in case and have now found that there isn't a problem getting bread.

Gordon Freeman 10:37 27 Mar 2020

Managed to get a Sainsbury's delivery today, and the rare item called 'loo roll'...2 packs, totalling 25 rolls, so we're good for a few weeks.

Some items not available, tinned tomatoes (remember that thread from way back when?) now an endangered species...rapeseed oil unavailable. Apart from these things, everything else delivered.

I've noticed our local Morrison's is still the best stocked (meat, bread, fish, fruits etc.).

Not sure but the situation may change soon as people start to realise that we're moving towards the peak of corona, which might see a resurgence of panic buying...if people have enough room in their freezers, garages, etc.

Aitchbee 12:38 27 Mar 2020

In addition, the big supermarkets have been given access to the database that lists the 1.5 million people on the especially vulnerable register. Each time one of those people logs in to place an order they will automatically be prioritised for home delivery slots. It makes perfect sense.

FE, would this have anything to do with this recent BBC Technology news report?

click here

Aitchbee 12:40 27 Mar 2020

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if indeed it is, btw.

Forum Editor 18:40 27 Mar 2020

"FE, would this have anything to do with this recent BBC Technology news report?"

I wouldn't know, but I doubt it.

Companies like those mentioned in the item you linked to are going to be of enormous help. They are world leaders when it comes to data analysis, and that is precisely what the government and the NHS need right now.

Quickbeam 18:43 27 Mar 2020

I see that Tesco is bringing in a limit of 80 items per online shop. Tesco

This will force people to think rather than just buy without thinking.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €