Hot Topics

How long will "panic" buying last?

wee eddie 10:26 20 Mar 2020

It is not the whole of the Nation that is packing it's Larder Shelves.

Assuming that the Supermarket shelves are being restocked on a regular basis, do you think that some sort of normality will resume.

After all, How many Rolls of Loo paper does one need.

wee eddie 12:38 22 Mar 2020

Part of the problem is the use of the "Term" Lockdown.

People are 'correctly' worried that they may not be allowed to visit a Supermarket and are stocking their house on that basis. Maybe, they are the sensible ones?

roger.roger 14:37 22 Mar 2020

Our local tesco, local if you call a 35 mile round trip but thats the joy of living in the countryside. Most of the shelves are slowly filling up. No shortage of eggs, cheese, butter, bread, veg, drinks etc.

Only saw the rice and pasta isle to be short of things so thing may be getting back to normal.

Dunk 19:19 22 Mar 2020

.....and the Brexit negotiations are still (seemingly)continuing, so that we can leave the EU by the end of the year with no deal - and have our food shortages and JIT deliveries thrown into chaos all over again.

What a year to look forward to............

Gordon Freeman 13:05 23 Mar 2020

Until they actually have available slots at my local store, based on my log-in & the details they have about me, then they should disable the app, or online system so people don't waste time on compiling what is, in reality, a wish list.

So, further to my above post, yesterday, they (Sainsbury's) have closed off the app & ordering online facility. So, like others, I'll be forced to run the gauntlet in-stores, queuing with the rest of the community.

john bunyan 15:22 23 Mar 2020

GF

Same here. Went to Tesco today and it was not too bad- got most of what I wanted. However my wife has received a message from NHS that she is in the most at risk group ( no spleen, once had ARDS. She has been advised that we should keep 2 m apart and she MUST not go out for 3 months., Am considering options

Gordon Freeman 18:04 23 Mar 2020

JB, sorry to hear about that; suspect it'll make life a bit difficult for you both. I guess it's inevitable given the circs & many others will be affected.

Back to shopping, I ventured to Tesco this afternoon, dropped in on my way back from somewhere, actually got some meat, so supply chains are working, albeit in a limited manner. No queues, wasn't busy at all, so maybe afternoons are a better time to go, but stock levels might be at the lowest then.

Morrison's again, not busy, and again had plenty of stock of most things, with the exception of the obvious (loo roll) and soap related products.

If stores could crack this particular problem as a priority & manage it better then I think there'd be less 'panic', then they could work on other areas.

Alcohol section in both stores had only limited amounts remaining.

Quickbeam 19:17 23 Mar 2020

Surely it wasn't in Tunbridge Wells!

Old Deuteronomy 21:19 23 Mar 2020

We have been unable to buy toilet rolls locally and are running down so, after much searching online I found a janitorial supplies company with boxes of "industrial" centre-feed toilet paper. One box enough to last us for months and at a reasonable price.

john bunyan 11:43 25 Mar 2020

I cannot even get on to the Tesco website - high volume of traffic. My wife is not allowed out at all and I am told not to do so. Hope a local relative can help while they are not infected.

Ill have to risk a trip by the weekend but our local bus service is suspended and taxis are few. I am off driving for medical reasons.

My former military unit association has offered support but they are a long way off.

iscanut 11:10 26 Mar 2020

I have just been to our local farm shop and almost deserted BUT plenty of freshh veg ( their own ), plenty of meat, eggs, milk, pasta etc...No queues,. Drove home past the local Sainsbury and looked as if the whole world was there with long queues outside and car park log jammed. Our local B&Q has enormous stocks of good quality toiule rolls.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €