Hot Topics

How long will "panic" buying last?

wee eddie 10:26 20 Mar 2020

It is not the whole of the Nation that is packing it's Larder Shelves.

Assuming that the Supermarket shelves are being restocked on a regular basis, do you think that some sort of normality will resume.

After all, How many Rolls of Loo paper does one need.

Quickbeam 08:29 22 Mar 2020

And I now see that there is an obvious name for it!

Quickbeam 08:32 22 Mar 2020

A conspiracy of deviants has a good ring to it.

john bunyan 09:08 22 Mar 2020

My first ASDA home delivery is due at 11 am. Just got an email to say that all the meat and poultry, paracetamol, toothpaste and other items are unavailable to the pickers. It seems that us oldies are between a rock and a hard place since on the one hand we are told to remain indoors but on the other hand we can’t book home delivery and even then we don’t get what we ordered. I’ll have to take a bus to local town tomorrow in spite of the warnings to get some victuals!

Some form of monthly rationing seems essential

Gordon Freeman 11:13 22 Mar 2020

I've had a Tesco online order sat in the basket for several days now, with no possible delivery or collection slots.

It's still the same with Sainsbury's. Spending time selecting items, and being able to load a virtual trolley is proving to be an actual waste of time, given there are no slots.

By slots I mean both home delivery slots, and also click & collect - there are currently none available right up to 11th of APRIL (3 weeks away). So, it means going back to the old ways of visiting the store.

Until they actually have available slots at my local store, based on my log-in & the details they have about me, then they should disable the app, or online system so people don't waste time on compiling what is, in reality, a wish list.

Just highlights that JIT, in the situation that we currently find ourselves in, is seriously flawed; but these are unprecedented times. One for the lesson learning sessions I guess when it's all over.

Gordon Freeman 11:27 22 Mar 2020

Just had a msg from a friend in a local Tesco store this morning...queues are huge ...it's a larger Tesco store. The tills are at the front, and the queue snakes all the way along the length of the back of the store, down the sides, and eventually round to the tills.

No 'social distancing' being observed & people utterly peed off, & things are tense, as you might imagine. Utter madness. Certain shelves (bread, meat, pasta/rice, toilet related products, pet foods) are stripped bare, reminiscent of eastern block scenarios in years gone by .

If this kind of thing isn't rectified, I expect wider social unrest unfolding in a variety of forms will be the next thing we start to see.

Pine Man 11:32 22 Mar 2020

Still, Tesco lets us oldies in by ourselves between 0900 and 1000 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays......... 3 hours after the hoarders have been in and stripped the shelves!!

john bunyan 11:46 22 Mar 2020

GF

I agree; as a short term measure either a monthly rationing scheme has to be brought in or stores must be directed to adopt “Italian” methods whereby entry is controlled and customers are restricted to amounts they can buy. I shall have to walk a mile or so on Monday to the local butchers regardless of the isolation- luckily apart from the butcher I won’t be in contact with anyone else.

Gordon Freeman 12:07 22 Mar 2020

JB: If I were you I'd phone ahead to see if he has stock of what you need available; might save you an unnecessary trip, or you could ask him to take your order & advise him you're on your way to collect.

I've not read much about what the Italians are doing things. But isn't this just creating big queues outside the store, as opposed to in-store?

Rationing I can see that happening, but to some extent it already is, although management of it is hit & miss. As one example, I noticed yesterday that (owing to pub closures I suspect) you could only buy 3 items of alcohol in a single transaction. Didn't realise until we got to the self-serve tills as it wasn't clearly signed at the shelves. We had 4 items, so the helper advised my wife to take one item to another till & pay for it there.

martd7 12:11 22 Mar 2020

Just been out at 8am to Asda and Tesco queuing in Car Park,this is never going to end until people stop hoarding

Old Deuteronomy 12:16 22 Mar 2020

Just been out at 8am to Asda and Tesco queuing in Car Park,this is never going to end until people stop hoarding

It needs government action, eg rationing. Repeatedly asking people nicely, to not panic buy/hoard, doesn't work when you are dealing with ignorant, selfish [email protected]

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €