How long till they shoot the messenger?

qwbos 10:48 11 Apr 2019

Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Forum Editor 12:36 11 Apr 2019

The people in Ecuador's London Embassy, who have had to put up with this man for the past seven years must be ecstatic.

He'll probably be extradited to America after the UK justice system has finished with him.

Quickbeam 17:58 11 Apr 2019

if they're ecstatic, why did they offer him asylum?

qwbos 00:44 12 Apr 2019

Asylum was granted by Rafael Correa. The current president, Lenin Moreno's currently under investigation for corruption - INA papers tell all. Some suggestion that Moreno has "sold" Assange to America in exchange for debt relief.

Considering the findings of the UNWGAD have been ignored for over three years by the UK, it seems more than likely that Assange will be handed over to the UK's senior partner at lightning speed. Doubtless those in America who have referred to him as a "traitor", but clearly don't understand the meaning of the word, will be ecstatic.

Sad that the wrong doers escape justice yet those that expose them end up in jail, or worse.

john bunyan 07:51 12 Apr 2019

He was arrested about potential charges of rape in Sweden and skipped bail . Those changes could not be perused as he went to the Ecuador Embassy. He Is , therefore, wanted for skipping bail. Whilst Press freedom is important, no one is allowed to publish top secret information. Coupled with his behaviour in the Embassy, that he is not a British citizen, it is hard to have much sympathy for him.

qwbos 09:50 12 Apr 2019

"Rape", but not as we know it. Apparently a burst condom constitutes rape in Sweden, though how they can attribute blame to the male only seems bizarre. Those charges were dropped ages ago, if they were actually ever laid. The Swedish police wanted to interview Assange in connection with the accusation. What followed was a thinly veiled exercise in detaining him for America's pleasure.

Alleged behaviour in the embassy would be more accurate, and his citizenship is irrelevant.

Whilst Press freedom is important, no one is allowed to publish top secret information.

And this is where it gets interesting. The same material was printed or broadcast by media worldwide. Will they also be prosecuted/persecuted? Also, there's top secret and top secret. What Wikileaks published was America's dirty secrets that are definitely of public interest. Their activities were barbaric and illegal. Don't forget, if it had been the other way round, America would have been pushing broadcasters to show it.

Forum Editor 09:59 12 Apr 2019

"if they're ecstatic, why did they offer him asylum"

That was seven years ago. Since then, Assange has repeatedly abused the hospitality extended to him. He has, according to Embassy staff, insulted guards, accessed confidential embassy files without permission, and been generally obnoxious.

He's a narcissist who sees himself as a fearless champion of free speech. The words 'confidential' and 'private' mean nothong to him.

Pablo de Catio 11:31 12 Apr 2019

"He's a narcissist who sees himself as a fearless champion of free speech. The words 'confidential' and 'private' mean nothong to him."

I agree with that. He should face all charges and if proved guilty it might deter those who think they can access any private and confidential information with impunity.

qwbos 16:12 12 Apr 2019

What's been happening inside the Ecuador embassy is anybody's guess, but what's clear is Moreno's done a deal. Why he feels the need to cover that up with flimsy excuses only he can say. Is he equally incensed by the apparent use of surveillance devices to monitor within his embassy? I wonder which self righteous state organisation planted those?

Without Manning and Assange, the world would never have known what the coalition of the killing had been up to. None of it made comfortable viewing, but I'd rather know what "my" government is getting up to in "my" name.

It never ceases to amaze me how hypocritical people get when it comes to killing, torture, invasion etc etc etc. Quick to point the finger, but even quicker at covering it up when the blood's on their hands.

The words 'confidential' and 'private' mean nothong to him.

Nor should they when it comes to illegality. Forgotten Watergate?

Tomorrow, it'll be 100 years since the Amritsar massacre. I suppose that should have been covered up as well.

Quickbeam 16:24 12 Apr 2019

Interesting alternative view qwbos.

Pine Man 18:53 12 Apr 2019

qwbos

The same material was printed or broadcast by media worldwide. Will they also be prosecuted/persecuted?

Assange is not being prosecuted for that. The US is accusing him of conspiring with Chelsea Manning to hack into a classified U.S. government computer.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Disintegration preview

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Apple Watch Series 5 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs