How long should a car battery last?

john bunyan 21:16 06 Oct 2019
Answered

I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5 2.2 L auto diesel with stop/ start. Only done 21,000 miles. I did not use it for a week or so recently- battery flat. Charged the battery but when I tried to start the electrics went haywire- flashing etc and only way to stop it was to disconnect battery. After a couple of tries RAC homestart came and after tests diagnosed battery needed replacement. This was done at Halfords on a Sunday- cost £240 installed - battery is 333 start stop. With more time I could have found a cheaper one. My point is that the start stop is more intense on batteries than normal- is it worth it for the small fuel saving? Is 6 years a good battery life ? The price was expensive but RAC had no stock and it was a Sunday, and Halfords found a correct one

Menzie 12:57 07 Oct 2019

The cost of the battery surprised me.

Considering the cost you paid also included installation that isn't too bad. What surprised me was the cost of replacing my cabin filter recently.

I wasn't expecting it to be that much.

mrgrumpy 14:53 07 Oct 2019

Hi john I have a ford fiesta ecoboost it is 4 years old , with regards to the stop start , studies have estimated that they save only about 2 tanks of petrol a year.

I keep my stop start turned off because a mechanic , sorry they are now called technicians , told me that the batteries are special heavy duty to cope with the stop start hammering they get and that is why they are expensive.

john bunyan 20:06 07 Oct 2019

To conclude, due to my haste I paid a lot more to Halfords than a Mazda agent would have done ( closed Sunday ) but they had none in stock on Monday but they would have been about £150. C’est la vie.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:15 10 Oct 2019

In the old days I would have said 4/5 years is life expectancy of a battery

amonra 11:02 13 Oct 2019

Lead-acid batteries like to be charged/discharged regularly.They do not like to be left in a charged or discharged state. Any vehicle used for delivery work, or taxi service satisfy those conditions and are likely to outlast those used by weekend drivers. I don't expect my battery to last longer than 5 or 6 years, so I've got an emergency fund ready.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans jeux vidéos (2019)