How long should a car battery last?

john bunyan 21:16 06 Oct 2019
Answered

I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5 2.2 L auto diesel with stop/ start. Only done 21,000 miles. I did not use it for a week or so recently- battery flat. Charged the battery but when I tried to start the electrics went haywire- flashing etc and only way to stop it was to disconnect battery. After a couple of tries RAC homestart came and after tests diagnosed battery needed replacement. This was done at Halfords on a Sunday- cost £240 installed - battery is 333 start stop. With more time I could have found a cheaper one. My point is that the start stop is more intense on batteries than normal- is it worth it for the small fuel saving? Is 6 years a good battery life ? The price was expensive but RAC had no stock and it was a Sunday, and Halfords found a correct one

x13 21:56 06 Oct 2019

I've a 2012 Peugeot 208 diesel. Done 96,000 miles , no stop/start and still has original battery. Last winter, though, it was beginning showing its age.

john bunyan 23:18 06 Oct 2019

I think I’ll turn off the stop/ start option. Google says car batteries last 4-5 years but in the past mine have lasted longer. I suspect short journeys, also , don’t have enough charge activity to overcome the starts.

Govan1x 00:21 07 Oct 2019

Jb the low milage and the lack of use on most cars will affect the battery use especially coming up for winter.

I barely use mine and when there was a lot of rain about it took longer than usual to start.

This was a new battery last September but because it does not get many long journeys to charge it up properly, The chances are that i will probably have a lot of bother with it in the cold weather.

it may pay you to have a charger handy if there is any sign of a slow start up.

Not got one myself but will probably have to buy one soon.

Menzie 01:31 07 Oct 2019

I'm expecting mine to last between 3-4 years. My vehicle doesn't have a stop/start system but it has a lot of electronics including a stereo system that has two large amplifiers and twin subwoofers.

It also has a camera which records both front and back feeds while parked when motion is detected (as well as while driving).

Our winters are harsh here with temps falling as low as -40 celsius. So far it has done two winters and not missed a beat. We're going for the third winter now.

If anything happens before the end of next year my battery will still be within the manufacturer's warranty period.

Flat Earther 03:23 07 Oct 2019

I would turn off the S/S if you're not doing much mileage. Car batteries like to be kept topped up for longevity, depending where you park at home consider a trickle charger if garaged or a small solar panel if parked outside.

Quickbeam 07:09 07 Oct 2019

Flat Earther, is the solar charger suitable for overnight charging... ;)

Quickbeam 07:17 07 Oct 2019

JB, It's very much a how long is a piece of string question, you don't know until it's failed. But if that was the original battery, 6 years is acceptable regardless of the mileage. Mines an original too on 110k at 7 years old still going strong, but I don't use the stop/start, that just annoys me!

john bunyan 08:10 07 Oct 2019
Answer

Thanks for the replies. I have a charger which I will use to trickle charge at times of low mileage, and will turn off stop start except on longer journeys. The cost of the battery surprised me !

HondaMan 10:47 07 Oct 2019

I have a 2001 Mazda MX-5 and it is STILL on the original battery. It needs a boost on occasion over the winter, but in the summer it starts first time every time.

wee eddie 11:30 07 Oct 2019

I would be checking the fan belt. maybe the Alternator is not pushing enough back.

p.s. My Car mechanics knowledge is slim

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Snapdragon 865 delivers processing power for 200Mp photos

Artists fight back against bots stealing their work to sell

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)