How to keep car insurance premiums lower

ponytail 13:27 11 Jun 2015
Answered

I am expecting to have three points put on my driving licence which I suppose means my premiums going up and wondered if there was a way round it.I am classed as the main driver and my wife is the second drive.A bit drastic I know but what would happen if I changed the car ownership to her and she became the main driver and me the second driver would the premiums stay the same.Also if the car stayed in my name could she be insured as the main driver and me the second driver even though I am still the registered owner of the car

PC840 17:36 12 Jun 2015

How about changing insurance company anyhow? I've just taken out a new policy with a different firm and recieved much better terms! Not only did I get an increased level of cover it was at a much lower price and with extras! RAC breakdown and recovery, and lost key replacement. It has been my own fault for just going with the old frim for so long and been lazy, they just take the [email protected]@@ and charge as they like! Shop around, you could be in for a surprise!

martd7 18:30 12 Jun 2015

I think you will have a choice of 3points on your licence or attend a speed awareness course which I attended and cost £75

bumpkin 19:28 12 Jun 2015

mart7 my wife 34mph in a 30mph was given that option and quite enjoyed the course even though it cost me more that the £60 fine and no points so a good result.

Had it been me I would have taken the fine and points.

bumpkin 19:39 12 Jun 2015

When I say enjoyed it, met different people in a different environment all with their own stories, a bit of lunch and a chat with her fellow "criminals " was well worth the extra.

ponytail 08:25 15 Jun 2015

I suppose I drive it more than my wife but there is not much in it as I cycle to work and get the bus to town as it is free and I have a bus pass.I would say it probably does less than 5000 miles per year.My insurnce company is Endsleigh.Will probably wait untill October when it is due for renewal and then look around.Apologies for the delay in replying been away.

martd7 10:30 15 Jun 2015

Bumpkin

Same here 34 in a 30 zone I had a large thread running about this at some time because there was no leniency,on the course I was informed there's some leeway but policing it varies,standard practice is 10% plus 1 ,thus 30mph plus 3mph plus 1 is 34mph,if applied I would not have been deemed as "speeding",but my local traffic police give no leeway at all as they told me on the phone "31 mph is over the speed limit"

woodchip 17:43 15 Jun 2015

Only the owner of the Car can Insure it

hastelloy 09:11 16 Jun 2015
Answer

woodchip

"Only the owner of the Car can Insure it"

This is incorrect. For many years my wife and I took turns to insure my car in order to maintain both our no claims discounts.As we both drove about the same the insurers were happy with this.

ponytail 21:40 26 Jun 2015

I a now looking at other insurance providers but one other question I have a full motorcycle licence and still ride it occasionally how would the three points on my licence affect my motorcycle licence as I thought they were seperate licences

ponytail 21:41 26 Jun 2015

I a now looking at other insurance providers but one other question I have a full motorcycle licence and still ride it occasionally how would the three points on my licence affect my motorcycle licence as I thought they were seperate licences

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !