how fast is your broadband

mrgrumpy 18:02 30 Nov 2019

Ok so that I don't get into trouble I will not tell you who my isp is.

I recently went from copper wire to fibre optic the package I am on should give me 19 to 32 mb/per sec with a guarantee of a minimum of 16 mb/per sec , I can never get more than 14.4 and their own engineer tests proved I am telling them the truth so that qualifies me for compensation. The thing is their is a get out clause of only 3 claims in any 2 year contract.

DONT say your isp but was just wondering what should YOU be getting and what do you actually get. BTW I used several different speed test to get a accurate result.

Menzie 18:44 30 Nov 2019

My ISP is 50Mbps down and 25 up. Doing a speed test shows that I get exactly that.

No complaints here.

wee eddie 18:49 30 Nov 2019

I am with BT and it comes through my Master Socket. I am not interested in how they get it there.

I live in the centre of Ayr. My speeds are about 49Mbps Download and 13Mbps Upload

john bunyan 19:12 30 Nov 2019

I am with Plusnet, with FTTC ( to cabinet) and their super fibre . I’m about 450 metres from the cabinet and get 58 mbps download and 18 mbps upload. Fibre starts at 80 at the cabinet. How far are you away? Check for speed it should be here:

distance from cabinet

Aitchbee 21:01 30 Nov 2019

The problem of 'Crosstalk Interference' [mentioned in jb's link above] can be a factor in the degradation of signal and thus falls in broadband speed.

I used to face this particular type of underground cable line-fault as a BT engineer when fault-locating 'out-in-the-field' but then it was referred to as an 'overhearing fault'. This was sometimes caused by ingress of water into cable joints, poor insulation, etc, or alternatively when the telephone line [analogue signal] somewhere between exchange and customer's premises traveled for even a short part of the circuit route along a 'split pair'. (usually copper and/or aluminium conductors)

I am only surmising but I would guess that a good proportion of these 'split pair' circuits still play a factor regarding poor broadband speeds.

Typically back then [circa 1970-1990], an 'overhearing fault' got 'fixed' by providing a 'new line' or 'spare pair' between exchange and cabinet and/or between cabinet and customer's premises etc.

The problem now is that in many locations, up-and-down-the-land, there are NO good 'spare pairs' left to play with ie, no easy fix!

btw, broadband speeds will undoubtedly improve only when Jeremy Corbyn is Prime Minister ;o]

Pablo de Catio 21:09 30 Nov 2019

btw, broadband speeds will undoubtedly improve only when Jeremy Corbyn is Prime Minister ;o]

Why?

Because every one will emigrate and those left will have loads of spare traffic.

canarieslover 21:24 30 Nov 2019

Mine results with BT are variable depending on what chine I'm using. I have two Samsung tablets that give widely varying results sitting about 3 metres from router. One gives 17.5 Mbps down and 18.5 Mbps up. The other gives 35Mbps down and 18 Mbps up sitting in the same position. My desktop upstairs about 6 metres and 2 solid walls away gives me around 25 Mbps down and 18 Mbps up. All using the same broadband speed checker to avoid comparing chalk with cheese.

john bunyan 21:43 30 Nov 2019

*mr grumpy *

Are you measuring on a PC with lan cable from router or solely wireless? I get about 60 on lan, 35 - 55 on phone or wireless laptop- lower speed is at peak times. I do have Devolo magic 2 Wi-Fi / lan mesh system

mrgrumpy 22:13 30 Nov 2019

my wife is seriously ill and I did not want her disturbing , the wire to come into my home and the master socket are under the beds floor boards , this happened because we are in a bungalow and extended up so what is now the bedroom floor was originally the loft space and the builder left a loose floor board in case I ever needed to get to the master socket.

So as not to disturb my wife the fibre wire feed was added at the cabinet about 500 yards away , the engineers had to delay the work for 2 days whilst the cabinet was rewired as they discovered copper wire feeds and fibre were very close and shorting. I don't have a router just a hub.

AICHBEE , you say you was a bt engineer , I was told that after a few days the new wiring in the cabinet would have re learnt what to do and I would eventually get the full signal , that was a week ago , how long do you think the new wiring in the cabinet should take to sort itself out.

QuizMan 22:25 30 Nov 2019

Mine comes in at a tad under 65mbps and out at 20mbps. Measurements are taken as recorded by the router. This is the top of my expectations. Using external speed checkers can be hit and miss because much can depend on issues at the other end. For example, Speedtest.net is always about 5mbps down on the router data.

Aitchbee 23:34 30 Nov 2019

how long do you think the new wiring in the cabinet should take to sort itself out.

Sorry mrgrumpy, can't give you an authoritative answer on that one as I only worked with copper wires mostly. But if it's any consolation I was given a similar spiel when I upgraded from Dial-Up to Fibre just 5 years ago ie 'a few days'. The cabinet where I live is much nearer [about 100m away] and I never felt the need to check my broadband speed at the time as I was over-the-moon with the obvious improvement compared to a dial-up connection.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G