How expensive are electric cars?

canarieslover 09:14 11 Oct 2019

It seems that James Dyson has dropped his plans for an electric car as he can't do it in a financially viable way. 1">[click here VW and others subsidising each vehicle in the hope that they can make a profit in the future?

Are

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 11 Oct 2019

Electric cars are ever-increasing in popularity, especially now the government has given a deadline to the sale of petrol- and diesel-only cars.

click here

wee eddie 11:58 11 Oct 2019

I do not blame Dyson.

At the present state of the art, a simple Cost/Benefit analysis would suggest that there is not a lot to be made out of electric cars.

Not now, maybe not ever. Especially if the concept of "Self-drive" Hire Cars become more prevalent than personal Ownership

wee eddie 12:08 11 Oct 2019

Electricity will be unlikely to succeed, as the power supply of individually owned cars, so long as the vast majority of cars are kept, on-road.

Imagine arriving at a Filling Station today. There are a dozen pumps and each serves a new customer every 8 minutes (maybe less). At busy times of day there will frequently be a short queue of vehicles waiting to be served.

Now imagine how long that queue would be if every transaction took in excess of 35 minutes.

wee eddie 12:15 11 Oct 2019

Now imagine a Street with Power Points on Lamp-posts.

You get home from work > You find an available lamp-post > you sit in your car for 30 minutes while it re-charges > you drive away from the lamp-post and find somewhere else to park > you walk home in the rain > I think not > It's difficult enough to find a parking space within 100 yards of your front door as it is.

Belatucadrus 12:30 11 Oct 2019

Now imagine a Street with Power Points on Lamp-posts.

Now imagine the cost of converting thousands of lamp posts to multi function recharging points.

Al94 12:33 11 Oct 2019

The future is hydrogen not electric

Menzie 12:47 11 Oct 2019

One of my co-workers has a plug-in hybrid and the other a fully electric vehicle.

There are two chargers at work, that means that both are currently taken as both plug their cars in every day for charging/ battery maintenance.

I've had a few people tell me about the wonders of electric vehicles but at this stage for me they are highly impractical.

For a start I live in a block of flats and there are no charging spots. To charge one I'd have to go to the nearest charging point. This so happens to be a hotel; a guest would of course take priority and there is a risk of me getting ticketed and/or towed.

For now I'll stick with my petrol powered vehicle, it costs me about $40 to fill every fortnight, has handled the winter driving like a champ and so far hasn't let me down.

Forum Editor 14:23 11 Oct 2019

"Electricity will be unlikely to succeed..."

We'll see - the big oil producers estimate that - at current rates of consumption - the planet has around 53 years' worth of supply left. Long before it runs out, the cost will have risen to such an extent that it will no longer be possible for the average motorist to afford to run a petrol-fueled car, even if one was available.

My son has recently bought a fully electric car - a Nissan Leaf - and he says 'so far, so good'. He has discovered that you need to look at your motoring in a completely different way - planning long trips around potential charging stations for a top-up. He has had a charging station installed in his garage, and electricity is partly supplied by solar panels on his garage roof - they send charge to special batteries. My son was given all kinds of dire warnings about battery charging and discharging - don't do this, or don't so that - but Nissan told him to ignore the doomsayers and just drive and charge in the way that suits him. There are things that might reduce battery life, but the reductions will be very small, and in 10 years time his battery would still be holding a 70% charge.

The installers said that more and more people are going down this route. There are now more EV charging stations in the UK than there are conventional petrol stations, and the number is increasing all the time. They are on every motorway service station, and in my area they are in every public car-park.

My daughter-in-law almost ran out of charge one day, but that was because she repeatedly ignored the in-car warnings. She now has an app which shows her where charging stations are wherever she happens to be.

I don't think it's a question of whether electric vehicles will succeed, I'm sure that they will. The big question is what fuel will be powering the electricity generating stations. Surely there's only one answer to that, isn't there?

canarieslover 16:06 11 Oct 2019

I think one of the biggest problems is that it will take a long time for a bouyant used electric vehicle market to emerge that will cover the whole spectrum of users. Not just the teenagers who have just passed their test but also the thousands that are still forced to buy 'bangers' because that is all they can afford. The sub £1000 market is still quite substantial judging by the adverts and the cars for sale at the side of the road. Currently a 20 year old car is still a good d.i.y. proposition as they haven't succumbed to the 'plug it into the computer' as a necessity to keep it going. Not anything you can do with a failing battery. A story on the net last week, from Australia I believe, was of a driver being quoted $30,000 Australian to replace battery on a Leaf with a used value of $8000 Australian. I think we need to know a bit more about future costs as a buyer could be throwing money away buying an old used EV.

Pine Man 16:25 11 Oct 2019

I bought a Golf GTE petrol/electric hybrid about 18 months ago and it has been better than I ever expected.

Most of my mileage is within about 10-20 miles from home so it is done on battery only with the cost of charging it at home about quarter the cost of petrol and it takes just under 4 hours to fully charge from flat using a 13 amp socket. If I stray a lot further from home and deplete the battery the 1.4 lire turbocharged petrol engine takes over and it will charge the battery and run the car achieving about 50mpg.

In electric mode the car is very rapid up to about 30 mph and will continue on up to about 80mph at reasonable pace. If I press the GTE button the the setup of the car is changed and both the petrol and electric motors run together giving it the sort of performance that even Golf GTI drivers would aspire to.

I don't think I will buy a fully electric car until I can pretty well guarantee to get me wherever I am likely need to get to and back without having to charge it.

Since I have had the GTE using electric and petrol I am averaging about 200mpg.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2019)