How do the police evaluate accidents.

bumpkin 21:43 07 Mar 2018
Answered

A serious accident occured close to my house. I heard bad sounding noise and looked out to see what had happened. cars stopped and a lorry, motorbike on pavement and people screaming. Then the police, ambulances and helicopter. Road closed for hours causing mayhem. A pedestrian was killed and a motorcyclist seriously injured.

Back to my point, my daughter asked me "will the biker be prosecuted". Why the assumption that it was his fault, so how do the police approach this all too frequent kind of thing.

Belatucadrus 21:51 07 Mar 2018
Answer

If you really want to know read this.

Flat Earther 14:56 08 Mar 2018

Have you checked your CCTV, if it captured the bike passing it could provide evidence.

Pine Man 16:35 08 Mar 2018

how do the police approach this all too frequent kind of thing

By collecting all the evidence and making a decision of fault, or otherwise, based on that evidence and not jumping to conclusions just because a motorcycle is involved;-)

Old Deuteronomy 16:39 08 Mar 2018

Back to my point, my daughter asked me "will the biker be prosecuted". Why the assumption that it was his fault, so how do the police approach this all too frequent kind of thing.

There is a widely held belief that all motorcyclists ride dangerously/much too fast. Some undoubtedly do ride in a dangerous manner, however most are acutely aware of their vulnerability on the road.

Forum Editor 18:21 08 Mar 2018

These days, Police have access to more information on road traffic accidents than at any time in the history of policing. There are CCTV cameras everywhere, vehicles which record impacts,mobile phone records that tell police when a person last made or answered a call, and where they were when they did so.

To say nothing of pedestrians and other drivers with phone and vehicle cameras, and an increasing number of motorcyclists with helmet cameras.

RTA investigation techniques have developed into a very exact science. It's always a good idea to avoid making assumptions based on very little information - a person lost his/her life in this incident, so perhaps we should leave it to the people who know what they're doing - the accident investigators.

bumpkin 19:02 08 Mar 2018

There is a widely held belief that all motorcyclists ride dangerously/much too fast.

That is my point and what most of my neighbours and others who did not witness it seem to have automatically asumed. I don't even if the pedestrian was in the road or on the pavement anything could have happened, rider hit a pothole, pedestrian run out into road, rider hit by another vehicle that carried on.

As said the the police will do there best but it must be difficult, hopefully they have some witnesses.

Quickbeam 19:42 08 Mar 2018

The first 3 bulleted points on the above link explain why roads are now closed for accidents that 30 years ago, we would just be waved through on.

• there is an appropriate initial response and an investigation stage
  • there is effective collision scene management
  • an effective forensic collision investigation strategy is in place
  carver 10:24 20 Mar 2018

I know it's nit picking but now RTA's are classed as "road traffic collisions" it's because the police are now saying accidents just do not happen.

Pine Man 10:39 20 Mar 2018

it's because the police are now saying accidents just do not happen.

Unless they cause them;-)

bumpkin 13:04 20 Mar 2018

Have you checked your CCTV, if it captured the bike passing it could provide evidence.

Yes I have, before and again aftere the police requested it. My cctv does not cover that section of road, illegsl anyway if it did not that I would expect them to pursue that. I was interviewed about it and gave the little khowledge that I had without speculating or making assumptions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?