Housebuilder bricks it on TV

oresome 14:17 19 Oct 2018

The boss of Persimmon, the housebuilder was on the TV news to publicise the company's venture into brick manufacturing.

Having recently been awarded a £100 million bonus that to say the least raised a few eyebrows, what reporter in their right mind wouldn't raise the bonus issue? However the questions seemed to take him off guard and suitable answers to deflect the issue hadn't been rehearsed.

click here

Pine Man 14:50 19 Oct 2018

what reporter in their right mind wouldn't raise the bonus issue?

......and having persisted he lost the interview altogether. I have more sympathy for Jeff Fairburn than the interviewer who should have known better after being politely told by Jeff Fairburn that he wasn't there to talk about the bonus.

Forum Editor 15:04 19 Oct 2018

"what reporter in their right mind wouldn't raise the bonus issue?"

One who knew how to interview people properly.

That reporter was way out of line. Jeff Fairburn had agreed to an interview to discuss brick-making. He obviously had no idea that the interviewer would start talking about his bonus as they stood beside a pile of bricks, and it was the interviewer who looked foolish, not Fairburn.

Someone should teach him how to do it properly before they let him loose again.

Pine Man 15:24 19 Oct 2018

I used to work for a large organisation that meant I had frequent contact with the media. The content of all interviews was agreed beforehand and any reporter stepping out of line was never allowed any further interviews or invited to any press releases. It didn't happen very often.

oresome 17:42 19 Oct 2018

He obviously had no idea that the interviewer would start talking about his bonus as they stood beside a pile of bricks

Well both he and his press officer certainly should have had an idea.

Pine Man 18:48 19 Oct 2018

Well both he and his press officer certainly should have had an idea.

.......and I bet that no mention of this line of questioning was mentioned by the BBC.

oresome 19:04 19 Oct 2018

We are talking about journalists who are not dissimilar to estate agents and politicians. The boss and his advisers can't be that naïve.

How many people are interested in whether Persimmon make their own bricks or buy them in?

I wager there's more public interest in how a £100 million bonus is justified especially on the back of taxpayer subsidies to purchasers, so of course the journalist is going to slip some questions in.

alanrwood 19:10 19 Oct 2018

I think it a fair question to ask about an obscene bonus amount. It is capitalism gone mad.

Old Deuteronomy 20:24 19 Oct 2018

I wager there's more public interest in how a £100 million bonus is justified especially on the back of taxpayer subsidies to purchasers, so of course the journalist is going to slip some questions in.

I suspect all those people dealing with numerous new house quality issues and woeful customer service, would like an explanation as to why the boss should get a massive bonus.

lotvic 12:37 20 Oct 2018

How much is the Income Tax on that bonus?

Pine Man 12:46 20 Oct 2018

How much is the Income Tax on that bonus?

I would imagine that it is 40%, which according to my maths is..............a hell of a lot!!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)