Is hostile architecture the right approach........

oresome 18:16 31 Jan 2018

......to deter the homeless from sleeping rough?

I'm referring to one council fitting bars midway across public seating to prevent anyone lying down, another fitting bike racks to fill likely spaces and at least one shop owner fitting a sprinkler system in their doorway.

Jeremy Corbyn's solution is certainly more humane. He proposes providing several thousand homes at the taxpayers expense. I fear it's a simplistic idea that won't solve the problems of substance abuse and mental health issues that many homeless people suffer from.

Quickbeam 06:14 01 Feb 2018

I can remember in the '60s & '70s that shops with set back doors would have a wooded gate across the opening overnight.

So it's not a new idea.

Cymro. 11:11 01 Feb 2018

Homelessness is a problem that has been with us for a very long time and is I think very much to our shame that things are still no better than they are. Yes I know a lot of it like other social problems is self inflicted but that is no excuse for us being unwilling to pay some extra taxation to improve the problem.

Forum Editor 10:15 02 Feb 2018

"...that is no excuse for us being unwilling to pay some extra taxation to improve the problem."

How would extra taxation solve the problem - would you propose simply providing taxpayer-funded homes for people who sleep on the streets, as suggested by Jeremy Corbyn? If you do that, you'll soon have many thousands more of them.

Cymro. 11:35 02 Feb 2018

F.E. How would extra taxation solve the problem -

This is a problem that can only be eased by spending money on it. The once to do this are the government be it local or national. We are forever told that the government has no money of it's own only taxpayers money. So as with all such social problems any extra money spent must come via taxation.

There are some who would just leave the homeless to rot on the streets rather than pay extra taxation to alleviate the problem. If you F.E. or anyone else has a solution to the problem that does not involve spending taxpayers then please let us know.

There was a time when the homeless would have ended up in the Workhouse. Is that how you would solve the problem? but even then it would have to be paid for by taxation.

Forum Editor 15:22 02 Feb 2018

Cymro.

"So as with all such social problems any extra money spent must come via taxation."

That is pretty obvious, but I think you missed my point. What I was interested in is how you think that this problem will be solved, simply by spending money to 'improve' it.

"There was a time when the homeless would have ended up in the Workhouse. Is that how you would solve the problem?"

What on earth gave you that idea? I know how I would set about it, I wanted to know how you would do it.

Take 10 homeless people and you'll find several different stories behind the homeless situation - alcohol abuse, drug problems, debt, relationship issues, mental health problems etc. Being homeless is the result of other issues, and the way to treat the problem is to deal with the causes. Otherwise you'll spend a great deal of money providing homes for people who still have a problem - it's not the answer.

The answer, and it's a daunting prospect, is to deal with the root causes. That has to happen in families, in relationships, and in the NHS - all of them can have a positive effect. The money (however much of it can be allocated by central government and local authorities) should be spent in those areas.

caccy 16:28 02 Feb 2018

Some years ago my son was made homeless and even though he had always paid tax & National Insurance the council would not house him. He was told that if he were a refugee then they would.

Don't know if the legislation has changed since but it did seem totaly unfair!

bumpkin 17:46 02 Feb 2018

Don't know if the legislation has changed since but it did seem totaly unfair!

As are many things.

oresome 15:15 06 Feb 2018

Council has a change of heart after public outcry and removes bars from public seating.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple