Hopefully the government have heard

john bunyan 19:07 07 Dec 2017
Answered

A long time ago I wrote to my MP suggesting that even if the law had to be changed, so those from U.K. who are proved to have become active ISIS fighters should be deprived of citizenship and prevented from returning to UK. (With a bit of proof they were indeed fighters and therefore, in old parlance, treasonable or legitimate military targets whils abroad) . I am pleased to hear that at least the Defence Minister agrees!

Williamson on traitors

john bunyan 20:06 07 Dec 2017

Not sure why this is not on recent posts

Aitchbee 21:41 07 Dec 2017

I heard Williamson talking on radio today. No conviction in his words. Someone should coach him on his deliverance. He's probably never met an angry man.

john bunyan 12:07 08 Dec 2017

Here is a minister actually, and correctly in my view, killing British Jehadis abroad,and there are less views and comments than on the weather.

Cymro. 12:37 08 Dec 2017

British Isis fighters should be hunted down and killed, says defence secretary

They don't even treat child killers that way. He is only going to bring us all down to the level of the terrorists.

Forum Editor 16:01 08 Dec 2017

A long time ago I wrote to my MP.....

As did many others. The devil, of course, is in the detail as it so often is.

Many people might agree with Gavin Williamson's view, but following up on it is a very different kettle of fish. It would effectively invite British military personnel to become assassins - making their own judgements as to what constitutes a terrorist fighter and killing people, based on their decisions.

Stopping British citizens from re-entering the country and removing their citizenship is one thing. Hunting them down and killing them on foreign soil is a different matter.

I have a good deal of time for Gavin Williamson, I think that in time he'll prove himself worthy of the job. On this occasion however, he comes across as a soundbyte Minister not yet fully capable of joined-up thinking.

qwbos 16:23 08 Dec 2017

What Williamson and his supporters conveniently forget is that drone strikes, which I assume they would be using as this is what has happened in the past, are rarely as accurate or clinical as many politicians and media would like to suggest.

john bunyan 16:31 08 Dec 2017

FE

For years in Afghanistan and in Iraq and Syria, we and our allies have identified and killed Taliban and ISIS fighters, particularly top leaders by drone strikes or by Special Forces. The active ISIS have declared war on us , and in war are legitimate targets. I can assure you that targeting is controlled and within the rules of war. This is not new - Bin Laden was one of many. I have attended funerals of brave U.K. people doing this work on our behalf. The decision is taken daily and has been for years. The targets are no different than any other enemy in war

john bunyan 16:48 08 Dec 2017

qwbos

Regrettably there is collateral damage sometimes in all wars. In WW2 I expect my father and others bombed off target sometimes. Every care is taken to avoid such things but in Mosul for example the ISIS used human shields and would not have been beaten without some civilian casualties. However ISIS never give in and the only way to stop them is to kill them - this is not assassination but legitimate self defence.

qwbos 16:50 08 Dec 2017

For years in Afghanistan and in Iraq and Syria, we and our allies have identified and killed Taliban and ISIS fighters, particularly top leaders by drone strikes or by Special Forces

And numerous innocent people besides. For quite a while, weddings and funerals were common targets with the resultant mess being not unlike that seen after suicide and car bombs.

I doubt if you'd be so keen on these methods if they were being used in your neighbourhood.

I can assure you that targeting is controlled and within the rules of war.

What lucky bag did you get that one from? The Daily Mail?

The targets are no different than any other enemy in war

Like the mass bombing of German civilians in WW2?

Quickbeam 17:21 08 Dec 2017

"Like the mass bombing of German civilians in WW2?"

Unlike IS, we've moved on in all that time.

Maybe he should work for Trump... he'll do well in the present Whitehouse with that thinking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)