Home or away this Christmas?

Forum Editor 22:25 17 Dec 2018

Where will you be?

Flak999 20:06 18 Dec 2018

Forum Editor

Thank you FE it has been a hard two years, and although as you know I am not religious, this time of year seems especially hard! I used to scoff at those with some sort of faith, I now find I envy them!

When my wife died, something of me died with her. Nothing prepares you for the onslaught that grief visits upon your mind and body, life seems empty now and each day is to be endured rather than enjoyed.

The things that seemed important before seem trivial now, and whereas I used to interest myself in politics and current affairs, I now can't be bothered.

It all just seems so pointless.

wee eddie 21:57 18 Dec 2018

Flak999: As an ex-believer myself, the Christian Church does not have all the answers but, I can thoroughly recommend a brief visit to your local Parish's Children's Carol Service. It will not only bring tears to your eyes but fill your heart with joy.

Such simple faith, untainted with the questions of adulthood, and the sound of children singing is, to put it simply, wonderful

bumpkin 23:24 18 Dec 2018

Flak, “Nothing prepares you for the onslaught that grief visits upon your mind and body, life seems empty now and each day is to be endured rather than enjoyed.”

I have similar feelings as do many others. Nobody else can possibly understand or begin to imagine unless in the same situation. This will be my 3rd xmas without my wife and that is the time of year it really seems to hit home. Whether one ever gets over it I don’t know . Children and friends this year, never the same but all I have. If that is the hand we have been dealt then we must play it. Nothing I can do or say to help but I do understand.

PS, PM me if you get really down we don’t live far apart.

Flak999 23:52 18 Dec 2018

bumpkin

"PM me if you get really down we don’t live far apart."

Thank you for that, I appreciate it. It is these small acts of kindness that lift the spirit. I am sorry for your loss, I hope you and everyone grieving the loss of a loved one get through the festive season as best they can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)