Is this a high speed gravy train?

oresome 11:21 08 Aug 2018

Almost one in every four HS2 employees are being paid more than £100,000 a year, it has been revealed.

click here

carver 11:34 08 Aug 2018

This HS2 is going to be the most costly white elephant yet, it's something we do not need and the money would be better spent on upgrading existing routes. When you think about it who is going to benefit from it, does cutting 20 minutes of a journey matter when all the other rail services are in such a chaotic state. And as for that article, yes it is a gravy train for quite a few people.

Cymro. 11:40 08 Aug 2018

I try not to worry too much about what others are earning. A large project of this sort is bound to have many highly skilled workers on good wages.

oresome 12:41 08 Aug 2018

It's not only the present workers that are earning good money.

Those that are no longer required have had handsome payoffs.

HS2 Ltd, the publicly funded company building Britain’s new high-speed rail network, spent £2.76m on payoffs in 2016, of which only £1m was authorised, according to the National Audit Office.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:42 08 Aug 2018

HS2 phase 2b is supposed to have station (2023) close to where I now live , it already has pushed up house prices in the area and phase 1 hasn't even started yet.

Controversy over routes and viaducts has split the local town, I'm sick of hearing about it, the likely hod of its completion in my lifetime is nil as they will have run out of money (56bn) before phase one is completed.

Govan1x 14:59 08 Aug 2018

The price of it is rumored to be in the £130 billion mark just now. I would hate to think what the final bill is going to be.

Quickbeam 18:50 08 Aug 2018

Well all the original Victorian main lines ran over budget too, but if they hadn't built them, we'd still be using hand carts...

Govan1x 10:27 09 Aug 2018

That's true Quickbeam. The problem is do we really need faster trains. they have problems running most train services nowadays so maybe the money may have been better spent upgrading those.

I think the last train I was on was the Flying Scotsman so not a train user and I would assume it is only a small proportion of the Uk that use trains. it has been said that the high speed trains will get you into work 15-30 mins earlier.

You have to ask is that worth the price they are paying for the new train service.

Basically they all get you into london earlier they don't get you to Ireland Wales or Scotland any quicker. So basically it is just for England.

oresome 13:52 09 Aug 2018

One of the problems is that we have a legacy rail network and we are essentially continuing with the same technology to this day.

We really need a seismic shift in technology as when rail superceded the canal network to gain any significant advantages.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:09 09 Aug 2018

HS2 is out of date before its even started.

We should be building a mag lev train (possibly hung from a monorail) not still be contemplating old technology.

oresome 14:44 09 Aug 2018

A damning analysis by Simon Jenkins here

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL