Hello, this is an urgent announcement for those...

chub_tor 11:50 16 Feb 2017
Answered

..on benefits.

Is anybody else getting these annoying calls? I get two or three a day, each time from a different number because as they come in I block the old one via BT Call Protect. I did once listen to the complete message which says I can get a new boiler on the cheap and I used the "Press 9 to be removed from our records" Perhaps that was a mistake for they now know that my number is live.

Any ideas on how to stop them would be much appreciated.

chub_tor 21:33 16 Feb 2017

I am intrigued by Truecall. Could one of you explain how it handles computerised calls such as those I have been getting where an obviously human voice calls from am apparently legal UK number with a recorded message.

oresome 09:18 17 Feb 2017

With our phone, the call would fail at the first hurdle because the computerised call wouldn't give it's name and press the hash key, so the phone wouldn't ring.

If it was a persistent human calling who followed the procedure, I can listen to who they say they are and then block subsequent calls. They then get a message saying their calls are not being accepted when they ring.

morddwyd 09:20 17 Feb 2017

"ould one of you explain how it handles computerised calls such as those I have been getting"

Any number that is not on the "authorised" list (in my case anyone other than the 39 I accept) is asked to leave a message.

Very few scammers or computerised calls bother.

chub_tor 15:24 17 Feb 2017

Morddwyd how do you get authorised numbers onto your list. Do they have to entered manually?

Oresome does that mean whoever calls you - including friends and family who may call several times a day - have to give their name and press the hash key every time?

Cymro. 15:36 17 Feb 2017

The new B.T. call blocking service seems to be working alright for me but reading the posts above I'm beginning to wonder what lies ahead

oresome 16:16 17 Feb 2017

Oresome does that mean whoever calls you - including friends and family who may call several times a day - have to give their name and press the hash key every time?

Only if they withhold their number.

Providing we have their number in memory and they allow number forwarding, the phone will ring as normal.

Burn-it 16:21 17 Feb 2017

Well TPS works for me. I also declined from giving my phone number on the census form - which seems to have made a difference as well. I found that the local council were selling census data (including ex-directory phone numbers)

morddwyd 08:52 18 Feb 2017

how do you get authorised numbers onto your list. Do they have to entered manually?

In my case yes, it's gardly onerous, maybe one number a year! There are various options, like pressing a key while you are talking to a number you wish to keep, which is then automatically authorised for future calls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?