Heavy video content on site

rickf 16:26 20 Apr 2018

HI is anyone experiencing slowing down and very jerky mouse here because of all the heavy video content on all the time??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 20 Apr 2018

Afraid I have to block all the videos to make the site useable.

bumpkin 21:19 20 Apr 2018

Yes and had to do the same as Fruit Bat.

rickf 23:22 20 Apr 2018

id you use free adblocker

rdave13 23:27 20 Apr 2018

Just disabled AdGuard extension temporarily to see - and my old CPU can only just cope with the site.

Belatucadrus 23:50 20 Apr 2018

Same here, I tried to show willing and turned off my AdGuard & Ghostery. I know the site needs the revenue but without them the tab icon spends an eternity spinning before the page loads completely and the PC becomes laggy and slow to respond. I'm on a passable broadband link but the unhindered load of the pages grinds things to a snails pace.

rdave13 23:59 20 Apr 2018

Still do it occasionally though, click on the Ads, Mazda deals and some business video adverts, and spend five minutes doing it when the forums are slow. It doesn't half hammer the CPU.

BT 08:46 21 Apr 2018

The way I see it is that the people who develop these sites are using High Spec equipment which is well able to cope with the demands that they are imposing. They don't consider those of us who can't keep upgrading to the latest equipment. There used to be an understanding where by things were aimed at the lowest common denominator but I suppose that isn't financially acceptable these days.

rickf 09:12 21 Apr 2018

I've an i5 2.9 to 3.2 quad core, 16g ram. and graphics card and it struggles quite often. It's becoming very tedious.

HondaMan 12:39 21 Apr 2018

No videos or adverts here, but I use 3 blockers. I know FE's point that the ads pay for the site, but honestly why impose them on us (me), when all we (I) do is quite effectively block them.

rickf 12:43 21 Apr 2018

Also it defeats the purpose of the exercise when people are bombarded with them. You simply become insensitive to them. Subliminal receptors shut down.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6 review

Best art and design exhibitions in 2018

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

E3 2018 : dates, conférences de presse, billets et plus