Health and safety factors lay behind the move?

oresome 12:12 16 Dec 2016

This comment may sound familiar, but it relates not to the rail dispute but the ringing of the bells at York Minster.

The resident campanologists are in dispute to the extent that they have been sacked and it seems that pleas by the authorities for volunteers from further afield have fallen on deaf ears, (an occupational hazard).

It may be the first time in over 650 years that the bells have been silent at Christmas.

click here

Aitchbee 12:49 16 Dec 2016
  • and there will be no noisy fireworks in Edinburgh this Hogmany either.

click here

Govan1x 14:50 16 Dec 2016

Maybe time to bring Quasimodo back.

oresome 16:04 16 Dec 2016

More information has been released regarding this story which puts a much more serious slant on it.

York Minster's bell-ringing team was sacked due to a row over one of its members being accused of indecent assault, The Church of England has said.

click here

bumpkin 16:30 16 Dec 2016

I am surprised they let that get out.

Forum Editor 23:53 17 Dec 2016

As I understand it, a person was the subject of two police investigations (in 2000 and again fourteen years later, in 2014 that went to court. A judge ruled that no further action would be taken, on condition that an undertaking was made by the person concerned.

York Minster authorities decided to remove said individual from the bell-ringing team. The other members of the team argued that as the allegations had been proved to be groundless the Minster had acted wrongly. As a result the team was disbanded.

Reading between the lines, it seems that the bell-ringing team was dominated by one family who ran a fiefdom, demanding absolute loyalty from other members.

The things that go on in the cloistered world of bell-ringing...

Pine Man 10:26 18 Dec 2016

I might be in the minority but I hate church bells and would be extremely pleased if the strike spread.

In addition fireworks don't need to be noisy. It's the display, surely, that is important.

oresome 11:05 18 Dec 2016

In addition fireworks don't need to be noisy. It's the display, surely, that is important.

I suspect not. I think the noise adds to the assault on the senses and raises the excitement level.

Ever been to the fairground without the loud music? It doesn't produce the same feeling.

Forum Editor 12:42 18 Dec 2016

"...It's the display, surely, that is important."

Unfortunately, you can't have the display without the noise or at least most of the noise. The big display fireworks need a propellant to get the display part into the air, so there can be another explosion which releases the starbursts etc. The first propellant makes the whooshing noise and the second one makes the bang. Some varieties use an explosive propellant to get airborne, via a kind of mortar firing tube, so you get two bangs and no whoosh.

The need for all that means that you can't really have silent fireworks.

bumpkin 15:09 18 Dec 2016

What next? a silent disco or nightclub. Of course the noise is part of the experience not that I am a firework fan myself.

oresome 20:03 22 Dec 2016

Many feared a Silent Night, but in the end it was Ding Dong Merrily on High. The bells of York Minster, silenced for the past two months following the dismissal of its entire team of ringers, rang out on Thursday evening, courtesy of volunteers from elsewhere in the county.

I just hope Pine Man is out of earshot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Redmi 8 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleures séries Netflix