Have you been conned!!.

spuds 14:34 17 Oct 2006

I suppose I have many times or thought so.Have you ever been or perhaps thought or known so.Your experiences and thoughts may provide a little light relief perhaps.

One particular incident that comes to mind. We required a fairly large area of ground prepared and tarmacing. Got a few quotes and decided that one quote was acceptable. Team turned up and began work under the occasional supervision of a colleague. At the finalisation of the job, I was fortunately available to complete the agreement. The supposed final bill was well over twice the amount we had agreed (my colleague would have paid this), and of course I refused to pay. Threats and curses were rendered, but at the end of the day, my gang was bigger than theirs.

Similar event recently. Took a computer into a local computer 'experts' establishment, for repair or fix. Still baffled to this day as to what was actually done for over £60.00. Possibly the computer put back to an earlier restore point perhaps or was it a case of baffled by science and technical information. Feel conned there some how, but the technician seemed a very nice chap!.

johndrew 14:45 17 Oct 2006

Bit of bad news - most confidence tricksters are very personable people. If they weren`t, we wouldn`t be taken in by them and they wouldn`t be able to do their `jobs`.

As for the tarmac and PC work; in the first a written quote signed by the contractor(?) would have saved bother - always assuming you can get one!!!! And the second, it is not unreasonable for the `expert` to tell you exactly what he has done - again agreement that he will do this is best obtained in advance. Failing that an itemised bill???????

johndrew 14:47 17 Oct 2006

Other than the above, I think most of us get `rooked` at some time or the other. Occasionally you may allow yourself to be `had over` to gain an advantage in the longer term - never seems to work out when I try it though!!!!

WhiteTruckMan 21:30 17 Oct 2006

"Bit of bad news - most confidence tricksters are very personable people. If they weren`t, we wouldn`t be taken in by them and they wouldn`t be able to do their `jobs`."

Sounds to me like you are describing a politician.

WTM

Forum Editor 22:18 17 Oct 2006

It must be awful to be such a cynic.

WhiteTruckMan 22:51 17 Oct 2006

It must be awful to be so trusting.

wolfie3000 07:41 18 Oct 2006

I was cooned once by a employment agency,

Years back just after leaving college i had trouble finding work in the engineering sector so i went to an employment agency who siad they would find my perfect job,
So after paying them a large amount of cash to find me my "IDEAL" job i heard nothing for over two months in the end they phoned me up saying they have found me a job,

They told me to go to a certain bus stop and wait for a van to pick me up,

So i was picked up by the van and off i went,

When we all arrived at what can be only described as a pig shed we were all told to start putting cardboard stancils into boxes,

Taht was it no interview nothing so i went to the manager and told him what was going on?

He told me that this was it,

That was my big engineering job.

I just walked out caught a taxi back to the employment agency had a few harsh words for them and signed off from them.

Turned out the job that i was sent to was illegal and was shut down for counterfeiting brand name goods.

The agency was shut down soon too.

wolfie3000 07:42 18 Oct 2006

Sorry for the spelling mistakes im a bit fryed after a long gaming session in halo :)

WhiteTruckMan 08:08 18 Oct 2006

What, an employment agency mooned you?

;-)

WTM

Chris the Ancient 12:02 18 Oct 2006

I was sort of conned once... but I was sort of expecting it.

I needed a new battery for my laptop and started looking round ebay. A guy was selling (with a few adverts) 2nd-hand and untested batteries. The 'Buy Now' price wasn't too bad (about half the price of a new one); so I took a gamble. I could afford that gamble and went into it with my eyes wide open.

Needless to say, both batteries were well and truly dead and unusable. But, hey, I did sort of expect that. If one had been OK, I would have been happy.

So, only a sort of con, really.

def90csw 17:00 18 Oct 2006

I got conned by a previous employer who taxed me but never paid it to the tax people. I think both of them are now or have just finished staying at her Majesties pleasure.

Oh and a tax bill for a few hundred thousand!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)