Have prices for car repairs gone up?

john bunyan 11:35 04 Mar 2018
Answered

I came across a receipt for an "accident damage" to a Morris Minor in 1959. I suspect things are a little dearer these days. It involved damage to front bumper and wing. Not sure how much I was earning at the time - maybe £20 a week?

Quickbeam 11:55 04 Mar 2018

What are you complaining about? £1000pa in 1959 was a damned good wage!

But I'd expect the odd 1d to be rounded down...

Quickbeam 11:59 04 Mar 2018

I remember paying £30 for a clutch on a Hillman Imp around 1975 in the lake District. It was top whack pricing at the time while on a camping holiday with no choice and they knew it, as I was stuck in Ambleside!

Quickbeam 12:02 04 Mar 2018

And what is the franked postage stamp for, some sort of tax paid confirmation?

john bunyan 12:05 04 Mar 2018

Quickbeam

I may have exaggerated my wage; it was £510 in 1957 so probably well below £1000 by '59!!

Still, it was about 50% of the (then) week's wages, I suppose that is about £250 today. I suspect a similar repair would be a lot more these days?

john bunyan 12:09 04 Mar 2018

The stamp was a normal part of the receipt - it was a "my fault" , self paid repair and certainly no way formed a tax claim - I was in the RM at the tine...

wee eddie 12:10 04 Mar 2018

I was prompted to Post: Is the Pope a Catholic.

There, I've done it.

The Mechanics that service my Taxi charge about half what the Main Dealer does and operate an almost "same day" service

rickf 14:04 04 Mar 2018

My car started stalling recently and the diagnosis was that the mass air flow meter sensor needed replacing. The garage wanted to charge me £300+VAT. I did some research and bought a third party replacement part for under £40 and replaced it myself. Took just over half an hour. Working sweetly as should from then on.

john bunyan 14:56 04 Mar 2018

rickf

Can I come to your for my next repair? A couple of years ago my wife’s Honda was having a service and MOT at a main dealer and they said a rear exhaust bracket had broken- wanted £400 or more for a replacement rear section. Got a local guy to weld it for £ 50

oresome 15:32 04 Mar 2018

As an aside, I've had to change browser to see what you are talking about.

I normally use Edge, but had to view in Chrome to see the receipt.

oresome 15:34 04 Mar 2018

Having said that, the receipt has now appeared after posting the last comment!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?