Have the Israel military gone too far

rawprawn 17:44 31 May 2010

click here
I can understand their problems, but aid convoys in international waters seems a step too far.

morddwyd 11:21 01 Jun 2010

When looking at international condemnation of Israel it should be borne in mind that good old mediaeval anti-Semitism is alive and well in many parts of the world, including the UK.

I don't think anyone would attribute such feelings to those using this forum, but comparing the deaths of a handful of activists, tragic though it is, who knew they were sailing into a war zone, with the deaths of tens of thousands of butchered three and four year olds, and younger, does little to strengthen anyone's arguments.

rawprawn 11:55 01 Jun 2010

There are bound to be view from both ends of the spectrum in any forum including this one. However the general feeling seems to follow that of most nations, in that more aid than is being allowed into Gaza is badly needed and a convoy would serve two purposes. 1) to bring aid, and 2) If it were stopped to bring the dire situation to the attention of the world. This it has achieved!
I feel it would have been better if aid had been delivered.

rickf 12:02 01 Jun 2010

Israel behaves as if they own the world. The International just won't do anyhting about it. I agree with Gandalf. They are outrageously flouting international law all the time and getting away with it. It's no doubt that the Palestinians are suffering being what is warranted. Israel should be condemned inthe strongest possible terms. A boycott of Israeli products would not be a bad idea.
If you were forcibly evicted from your home and ahve it bulldozed in front of your eyes you would respond in the strongest possible way, wouldn't you?

rickf 12:04 01 Jun 2010

Besides the blockade is illegal!!

sunnystaines 12:52 01 Jun 2010

could not why the ships did not invite the israeli forces on board and let them check the cargo for weapons etc then once clear why the israel could then not let the ships proceed to gaza, cannot see gaza working till they get a free access port and airstrip

spuds 14:43 01 Jun 2010

I am very surprised that no one as mentioned who was responsible for transporting the Jews to Palestine, that already small area on the globe. Perhaps the same could be stated about the division of India and Pakistan.

When the state of Israel was formed, it also brought terrorism, and lessons have been learned from that (and still are) by a far greater world-wide audience.

rawprawn 15:03 01 Jun 2010

To the best of my knowledge VAT is not applicable to any exported goods, it is an internal (IE: UK Tax)

Flak999 15:45 01 Jun 2010

that Israel is a western leaning nuclear armed bulwark against radical Islam. We in the west support Israel because they are prepared to do the things that western nations are politically unable to do.

The Palestinian question is an unfortunate by product from the formation of the Israeli state. After WW2 the Jews that formed the new state of Israel were determined never to fall victim to an aggressor again, unfortunately this necessity has cast them in the role of the aggressor on many occasions since 1948.

It is perhaps also unfortunate, that the Israelis are such good soldiers and the Arabs such bad ones! In every war fought between Israel and the Arab states since 1948 the Israelis have soundly thrashed the much larger Arab armies and have conquered territories from these would be invaders.

Because of their inability to win a conventional war the Arab states have instead turned to terrorism to attempt to achieve their aims, another strategy that has completely failed them.

We are then left with the situation in which we now find ourselves, the USA will never allow any sanction against Israel through the security council and we can be sure that if President Ahmadinejad of Iran should ever pose a real threat to the Israeli state he will find his country dealt with in much the same fashion as all enemies of Israel have been since 1948.

Perhaps we should be glad that the west has such an Allie in this part of the world, prepared to do the things which we in the soft corrupt lazy west are unprepared to do?

wee eddie 16:19 01 Jun 2010

I feel sorry for Israel.

It is stuck in a position that is untenable and while I do not abrogate our right to criticise their actions, we do not have rockets landing in our back garden.

Flak999 18:47 01 Jun 2010

"That's a very offhand way to dismiss the sufferings of millions of people."

The Palestinians do not help themselves in their suffering by electing a Hamas Government! It is impossible for the Israelis to engage with a band of elected terrorists whose sole aim is the Israelis destruction.

When this Government allows and condones the indiscriminate firing of rockets into Israel then of course Israel will react. To be honest this suits Hamas very well, the more Palestinians Israel kills and oppresses the more recruits for martyrdom Hamas obtains.

Israel sees itself as being surrounded by enemies who desire nothing less than her destruction, they cannot and will not bend the knee to these deadly enemies that surround them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?