Have the Israel military gone too far

rawprawn 17:44 31 May 2010

click here
I can understand their problems, but aid convoys in international waters seems a step too far.

Quickbeam 18:17 31 May 2010

Israelis have always considered themselves above the law, especially when America doesn't condemn them too harshly...

'The White House said the US "deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained" in the storming of the aid ship.'

That sounds suitably wishy washy for their condemnation of Israel.

Forum Editor 18:36 31 May 2010

"Live fire was used against our forces. They initiated the violence, that's 100% clear,"

It's also 100% clear that most people would react violently if their ship was boarded by military personnel in the early hours of the morning as they sailed in international waters.

It really is time that the international community made it clear to the Israeli government and people that they can't just write their own set of rules as they go along, and neither can they continually seek to resolve every problem with pre-emptive military action.

As I understand it, international law says that if a state is in conflict it may impose embargoes. If a vessel seeks to break the embargo it may be boarded in international waters, but not in the territorial waters of a third-party nation.

If that's correct, the Israeli action was not illegal. That doesn't make it any the less abhorrent, but it does deal with the 'piracy' allegation.

spuds 18:57 31 May 2010

Israel will always protect its own, whether by land, sea or air. This incident is just another blip in the calender for both the Israel government and its own people.

morddwyd 19:49 31 May 2010

Having spent a lot of my life being shot at by dissident Arabs (not literally, you understand, but that's why I was in the various places I was) I have always had much sympathy with Israel, but I must admit that I think they have overstepped the mark on this occasion.

spuds 21:11 31 May 2010

That is a question that will no doubt be debated for a long time. But the Israeli intelligence services are extremely good at their job.

natdoor 21:42 31 May 2010

Any truth in the rumour that North Korea has condemned the Israeli action?

spuds 22:36 31 May 2010

What's paranoid about living in fear virtually every day.

Perhaps the UK, USA or any other country might as well get rid of their intelligence services. At least they would not have the worry about who detonated the next bomb!.

morddwyd 07:06 01 Jun 2010

"Innocent lives no longer seem to matter to them."

Actually they do, but mainly innocent Israeli lives.

Awfully difficult to blame them for that.

johndrew 09:41 01 Jun 2010

As I understand it, Israel has blockaded the port to which this ship was sailing and had advised the vessel that this was the case. It is pointless saying you are blockading a port without enforcing your statement.

Britain would never do such a thing as blockade a port - would they?

If you believe the answer to the above is "no", then perhaps the blockade of Beira from 1966 to 1975 never occurred. Even though the action is a historical fact. We also boarded ships in international waters (piracy?) to enforce it.

I feel certain that other nations have also carried out such actions.

If when boarding a vessel to enforce a stated blockade, because the vessel ignores advice, those boarding are attacked, then it is only reasonable they should defend themselves. Or perhaps it is the opinion of some that such action is unreasonable and those boarding should allow themselves to be beaten/stabbed to death.

Al94 10:36 01 Jun 2010

It's worth recalling that the General Belgrano was in international waters when it was attacked and sunk, an act robustly defended by Mrs Thatcher click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Adobe announces Custom Toolbars for upcoming ‘Illustrator CC 2019’

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Les drôles de questions à poser à votre assistant Google Home