Hot Topics

We regret to inform you that the PC Advisor Forums are now closed, and you are unable to post new comments or conversations. If you have a question about the forums, please contact us.

Has Trump started a huge conflict?

Anon-433127 07:26 03 Jan 2020
Answered

Trump has ordered the killing in Baghdad of a top Iranian General. Knowing the psyche of the Iranians and remembering the time the US Embassy there , some years ago, was attacked, I would not like to be an American diplomat in Iraq or Iran at the moment,

Assassination

Anon-433127 07:14 04 Jan 2020

Deja vu?

History repeats itself - what a hypocrite!!

Trump- Obama and Iran

Anon-302934 08:01 04 Jan 2020

"I didn't do this to start a war, but to avoid one" he says.

Run that by me again...

Anon-311782 09:55 04 Jan 2020

Killing leaders is not something we've ever aspired to. Like killing prisoners it's too easy to retaliate. Wellington wouldn't countenance it, neither would Churchill.

I fear we may drift to another Cube.

The Americans can only ever see the short fix, but the Iranians have even longer memories then the Russians! They wait 1,000 years for revenge.

Anon-338298 11:11 04 Jan 2020

We should bear in mind that Trump has done what two previous Presidents would dearly love to have done. They - George Bush and Barak Obama - didn't go through with it because they feared the consequences. Donald Trump obviously doesn't fear the consequences, but that's probably because he doesn't fully understand what it is that he has done. It will play well with his supporters at home, but less well in the international community - no members of which were consulted or notified before the event. Qasem Soleimani was a national hero in Iran, but was undoubtedly responsible for the deaths of many American citizens. Indeed, he may well have been plotting the deaths of many more at the time of his death. Trump will see that possibility as a justification for his pre-emptive action, but in technical terms it was an illegal act.

We should be in no doubt that Iran will retaliate, and will do so in a major fashion but how and when it will happen remains to be seen. Any complacency on the part of America or its allies would be a very grave mistake - we are all on the edge of a cliff here.

Anon-311782 14:04 04 Jan 2020

The trouble is many Americans, some in High places, see any population east of Suez as towel heads (no offence, just quoting).

These "towel heads" were charting the stars when we were still in woad. If they are not already nuclear they are very close.

It is difficult. Until the world is no longer dependent on oil, unlikely to happen during the lifetime of anyone here, sanction are not going to work against a nation that has a major percentage of the world's reserves.

Anon-433127 14:41 04 Jan 2020

An example of Iran’s revenge is that in July 1988 a US missile destroyer , USS Vincennes accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner with 290 people on board. In Dec 1988 it is probable that Libyan proxies were used to bring down Pan Am 103 with the loss of 259 lives.

The Donald seems to have no longer term strategy to deal with Iran / Iraq

Anon-311782 18:45 04 Jan 2020

Cynical I may be, but the more violent their revenge, the better his chances of re-election.

Anon-250855 20:31 04 Jan 2020

I wouldn't like to be a passenger on a US civilian aircraft or cruise ship in the Gulf region in the near future

Anon-2450428 21:43 04 Jan 2020

Al94

I don't think it needs to be only in the Gulf, however, that the revenge could be wreaked.

Anon-2432433 01:12 05 Jan 2020

Whatever Iran hit back with it will come back 2 fold.

So if iran want to hit back they should be aware that the USA will hit back harder.

I think Trump is just waiting for an excuse send in the troops.

Iran will have to be careful what they do next.

I assume that that attacking embassy's and killing americans is to go unpunished. Not anymore it seems.

If it had happened to the UK we would probably have taken some sort of action.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware m17 R3 review

Apple iMac 2020 review

No, iOS 14 widgets are not spying on your iPhone

Comment regarder Disney+ sur les écrans connectés Google ?

/forum/speakers-corner-16/has-trump-started-huge-conflict-4717983/