Hot Topics

Harry and Meghan step back as "senior" royals

Belatucadrus 00:49 09 Jan 2020
Answered

Is anybody remotely bothered that this pair of over privileged over paid nonentities have decided to remove themselves from "Royal firm" duties ?

On the plus side maybe they'll quietly vanish into obscurity and the press will have to cover something else, hopefully less irrelevant.

On the down side, having pocketed £2,500,000 for renovations to Frogmore cottage and lord known how much for Meghans ever expanding wardrobe it looks like they're welshing on a massive debt to the rest of the family that would have expected more from them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 10 Jan 2020

Carol 1936 - "Hark the herald angels sing - Mrs Simpson stole our King"

1920 "Away with a Megan"

alanrwood 19:36 10 Jan 2020

Maybe Harry has his mother's fate in mind and decided it is better for his marriage and child to get off the royal bandwagon. He is not without courage as was shown by his service in Afghanistan.

morddwyd 09:23 11 Jan 2020

Before his marriage he showed signs of being a considerable asset to the Royal family and was certainly one of - if not the most - popular of its members.

And there's the rub, of course.

He married a control freak, like his mother.

There's only room for one prima Donna in the Royal Family, as Diana found out.

Shortly after the wedding I expressed my foreboding that she showed signs of becoming another Wallis Sinpson, and so it has proved.

john bunyan 11:06 11 Jan 2020

morddwyd

Quite right! I suspect his falling out with William was because the latter warned him of exactly has happened, may happen. Like his great uncle David he was too infatuated to listen to anyone, and that continues now.

Forum Editor 12:38 11 Jan 2020

" he was too infatuated to listen to anyone"

The same thing could be said of vast numbers of people all over the world - for centuries poets and authors have made a living writing about infatuation. Let's not be too hasty to condemn a man, just because he is infatuated with a woman.

Belatucadrus 13:09 11 Jan 2020

I've got no problem with them retiring from public life if that's their wish. But it looks as if they want to avoid all the tedious bits but retain the perks while relocating to La La land where a legion of sycophants will hang on every pretentious word and tell them how wonderful they are on a regular basis. All while being funded on this massive boondoggle by the bank of Dad, this despite having Harry reportedly being left millions by his mother and Meghan not being short a few bucks after the Suits gig. For most people that would be enough for financial independence but this couple who seem to be living massively beyond their means show no signs of even trying to reign in their self indulgence.

I know that in their minds this comment would brand me an institutional racist but I have to disagree. My growing dislike isn't based on the ethnicity of their parents, it's way more specific, it's based on what they say and do.

Forum Editor 15:46 11 Jan 2020

"I know that in their minds this comment would brand me an institutional racist..."

How do you know that? I certainly haven't detected anything institutionally racist in your posts.

Belatucadrus 16:42 11 Jan 2020

I certainly haven't detected anything institutionally racist in your posts.

Clearly not looking through the eyes of team Sussex who have a tendency to right off any negative comments as racism. Now I'm not saying they haven't been on the receiving end of some downright nasty press, as clearly they have. Unfortunately they seem to lack the self awareness to appreciate that they've brought a lot of the negative coverage on themselves with their staggering profligacy and holier than thou preaching.

Now I'm not going to claim the high moral ground, I can be as much of an arse as most and more than many. But when people get on the soapbox as often as they do and it seems to be a case of "Do as I say not as I do and here's my expenses claim". Don't be too surprised if I sound off.

morddwyd 17:46 11 Jan 2020

I certainly haven't detected anything institutionally racist in your posts

we're all aware of that FE, as they're still there to be read!

Cymro. 09:53 12 Jan 2020

F.E. Let's not be too hasty to condemn a man, just because he is infatuated with a woman.

At least it shows he has a heart and that is more then can be said about some others in that family. Anyway don't most of us become infatuated with someone eventually.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Can you see the bottle in this Coke ad?

New iPhone 12 release date, price & specs rumours

Quel est le meilleur Mac pour un ├ętudiant ?