Gymophobics Bailiffs?

  Portal11 02:34 28 May 2011

Morning guys! or for anyone that's still up?

Can anyone suggest anything pls?

My wife joined a gym called "Gymophobics" it was a 12 month contract and if I am correct it was £50 starting fee and £28 pm, The wife had only been there two months and we had to move house which we had absolutely no idea this would of happened at the time in fact we moved from Yorkshire to Lincolnshire!

So she told the Gym that we was moving away and that she needed to cancel the contract and they wasn't interested they stated she is bound by the contract either pay in Full or have Bailiffs at our door? very harsh forms of business!

It's been some time since we left Yorkshire and this morning from some Bailiff company we received a nice bill for just over £500 which includes the Bailiffs bit added on and a letter stating from them Pay now or court! Anyone know where we stand? we had a genuine reason to cancel i mean people do have changes in their circumstances and the Gym should be more than aware of this so why are they not been amicable? my wife has lost the £50 joining fee and she only went twice in the two months... Thanks

  wee eddie 04:06 28 May 2011

The sooner you pay, the less the agro.

Unfortunately she signed a Contract and they have chosen to enforce it. Not very nice of them but they're within their Rights to do so. Making them wait will cost you more money as there will be the Bailiffs Fees as well.

  zzzz999 06:27 28 May 2011

There is a little piece of legislation called the Unfair Contract Terms Act which is in place to protect consumers from contracts such as that. I know of several cases with gyms where it has been cited and the gym has backed down. Its probably worth having a l;awyer write the bailiffs a nice £75 letter quoting the above act and telling them to desist any further harrassment.

  wiz-king 06:29 28 May 2011

You are one of many. I heard a bit on the radio last night about this.


  oresome 14:47 28 May 2011

I think the moral of this story is to understand the implications of a contract before agreeing to it and also not to believe that cancelling a direct debit is the same as cancelling the agreement.

I am opposed to the practices of the likes of BT who like to snare you into an 18 month contract, which then gets renewed for a further 18 months on renewal etc.

I have resisted Talk Talk's attempts at this on several occasions.

  cruiser2 14:56 28 May 2011

On the web site for Gymophobics it lists several clubs in Lincoln shire. Could your wife not transfer her membership to one of these?

  sunnystaines 18:50 28 May 2011

£50 plus £28 x 12 a lot of money what did they provide for so much.

  spuds 21:44 28 May 2011

Go to the local CAB or Legal Advice Centre. You could even ask Consumer Direct who work with you local Trading Standards for free and impartial advice.

Consumer Direct

  Autoschediastic 15:16 30 May 2011

Many thanks to all of you! there is some VERY intresting points on here, also thanks for the links i think we are going to get a solicitor involved.. Thanks again!!


  OTT_B 20:53 30 May 2011

I don't know if this is relevant in your case (probably not), but read this

The CAB is far cheaper than a solicitor - since you could probably get away with paying £280 (10 x £28), I'd avoid a costly solicitor for as long as possible!

  Bingalau 21:34 30 May 2011

As cruiser2 says...I think the best thing to do is transfer to one of the gym's clubs in your new area. E-mail the CEO, you might find his address here.... be polite and see if you can let your own diplomatic skills get you somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

How Social Media has Propelled Political Graphic Design and Art in the Last Decade

The best kids apps for iPhone & iPad 2018

HomePod d’Apple : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique