Gordon Brown: Union is 'sleepwalking into oblivion

Cymro. 11:38 11 Aug 2019

BBC link

Gordon Brown has warned that under Boris Johnson the union of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is "sleepwalking into oblivion". Writing in the Observer, Mr Brown blamed "destructive, nationalist ideology" and said the ideal of Britishness as tolerant "could not survive" a no-deal Brexit. "We are, at best, only a precariously united kingdom," Mr Brown wrote. I think Brown is rather over stating his case and that no such break up of the UK will happen but as one who was never a supporter of a UK it would suit me fine. Not that I expect much support on this Forum for my or Browns way of seeing such things

john bunyan 22:44 11 Aug 2019

Maybe wait for an Indy thread. As 60 % or more of Scottish exports are coming to England , the border control would be a horrendous problem. I do sympathise with their position, while disagreeing with it.

Quickbeam 08:18 12 Aug 2019

If 99% of that 60% is exported Scotch, it should be quite simple to have a Scotch pipeline with a duty due meter...

HondaMan 09:44 12 Aug 2019

Who puts British on applications / registrations? - Not me. I always put "Cornish"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:50 12 Aug 2019

My apologies to the Welsh - you have to pay on the bridge to get into Wales but not to get out of Wales :0)

Quickbeam 11:27 12 Aug 2019

I read that the bridge is free now, it was deemed to be poor value for money...

Pine Man 11:51 12 Aug 2019

Who puts British on applications / registrations?

I do.

British is what I am and English is what I speak, as far as I am concerned.

I was happy to be European but that's a different issue altogether!!

amonra 13:24 12 Aug 2019

I think the answer to one of the problems was solved by the Goon Show many years ago. They suggested towing Ireland out into mid-Atlantic and either anchoring it there or sinking it, can't remember now after all these years. All those in favour..vote.niddle naddle noo.

Govan1x 11:10 14 Aug 2019

Gordon Brown has sleepwalking into oblivion maybe a better heading.

Does anyone actually listen to him anymore. Should have also added Tony Blair to that.

They are a blast to the past and have no influence in our future.

Let sleeping dogs lie, with the hope that someone new and bright enough can lead us into a decent future.

Cant see that happening for a while. or a long while would be more accurate.

Forum Editor 17:33 14 Aug 2019

Quickbeam

"I read that the bridge is free now, it was deemed to be poor value for money..."

It's been free since December of last year. The bridge produced £10 million in revenue every month, so hardly a waste of money. Welsh businesses had long campaigned for the abolition of the toll, and it is estimated that making the crossing free will bring an extra £100 million a year into the Welsh economy, but there is a downside.

Traffic over the bridge is increasing considerably, and this isn't good news for the people who get stuck in the notorious traffic congestion through the Brynglas tunnels at Newport. Built 50 years ago, the tunnels were designed to take 30,000 vehicles a day. Now they average almost 80,000 a day and rising. There was a 14 mile traffic queue a couple of years ago, and that stretch of motorway is the most congested stretch of road in the UK (other than the section of the M25 that passes Heathrow).

I have personal experience of using the tunnels, and at times you think you have gone to hell.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 14 Aug 2019

Used to do Midlands to Cardiff / Port Talbot regular M50 A449 M4 and went through the tunnels a lot, sounds like the Head of the Valleys road might be quicker now.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)