Hot Topics

Good recommended an easy 'weeder' ?

spuds 13:16 28 May 2013
Answered

Due to the recent many weather changes, we have a substantial increase of weeds and grass areas that want clearing. We have tried a number of the 'off the shelf' products with a negative or only partial positive results.

What we are looking for, is a product that is available to the public that will do a good clearance job, and at the same time be pet friendly.

My local council use a product, usually via a person going around with a sprayer device mounted on a quad bike. This product seems to clear most things for at least 6 months, but according to the operator, its only available to licensed holders/users.

Can you suggest any such product?.

lotvic 14:08 28 May 2013

I agree, get one that is Glyphosate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate "In many cities, glyphosate is sprayed along the sidewalks and streets, as well as crevices in between pavement where weeds often grow. "

spuds 18:04 28 May 2013
Answer

Thanks everyone for the advice given.

Since the original post, a number of things have occured. First, we have been in direct touch with the council, and they have given us a couple of contact details. Secondly, having rechecked, I have used glyphosate in the past, but this was a supply from the local garden centre which appears to be a pre-mixture of 7.2 g/l glyphosate. Roundup Pro contains 360 g/l.

As I mentioned earlier, we have tried other 'off the shelf' products in the past with varied results, including mixtures of Sodium Chlorate 14.04 g/l.

I'll tick this as resolved, look further into Roundup, possibly make a couple of telephone calls and go from there.

recap 14:37 29 May 2013

I generally chop the weeds down and wait until there is new growth, then spray them. [Deep Root][1]

[1]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Success-Ultra-Stump-Killer/dp/B0052CHJSW/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834531&sr=8-3&keywords=tree%20stump%20and%20root%20killer is a good weed killer, bought from other suppliers as well.

recap 14:39 29 May 2013

I generally chop the weeds down and wait until there is new growth, then spray them. [Deep Root][ [1]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Success-Ultra-Stump-Killer/dp/B0052CHJSW/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834531&sr=8-3&keywords=tree%20stump%20and%20root%20killer]

is a good weed killer, bought from other suppliers as well.

recap 14:40 29 May 2013

I generally chop the weeds down and wait until there is new growth, then spray them. [Deep Root][: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Success-Ultra-Stump-Killer/dp/B0052CHJSW/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834531&sr=8-3&keywords=tree%20stump%20and%20root%20killer]

is a good weed killer, bought from other suppliers as well.

BT 08:58 30 May 2013

I usually use Pathclear which has a long lasting effect (6 months) especially on gravel or shingle paths and drives. According to the info it is safe once its dried.

Products containing Glyphosate usually say that they are inactivated on contact with the soil. I usually keep the cat indoors for a couple of hours after using weedkillers just for safety's sake, and so far he's not come to any harm.

john bunyan 22:27 30 May 2013

Bing.alau

I read somewhere that adding nitrogen (Manure etc) can help as Horse Tails like less rich soil. The RHS does not seem very original:

RHS

spuds 10:10 07 Jun 2013

Update.

Having made contact with local 'commercial' supplier's, three suggestions came into the equation, RoundUp BiActive (£57.18/ £64.89) Rosate36 (£34.65) and Clinic Ace (£33.85) all based on 480 g/ltr of 'Very Strong' Glyphosate. The prices quoted are for 5ltr containers inclusive of vat and delivery.

Mixing for my purpose seems to be based on a dilution ratio of 120/200ml per 5/8 litres of water for knapsack spraying.

Getting all the 'required' legal extensive usage literature from the supplier's/manufacturer's, I have settled for Rosate36, but there doesn't seem much if any, difference between the three various well known and used 'commercial' products.

We are going to do a trial patch within the next few days, now that the weather as changed favour wise. Results I might post later, possibly in a months time.

Dragon_Heart 03:25 08 Jun 2013

150 mm layer of high cement content concrete !

WE use one of those weed burners ..... but the can of gas does not last very long. Not seen one of the older paraffin burners for some time but they worked a treat.

spuds 10:05 08 Jun 2013

You must mean the 'Sheen' burner, very good with many uses, including fixing roof felt. Obtaining paraffin became a problem?.

The canister gas type are useless for big ventures, and even useless for some small ventures?.

150mm layer of concrete might resolve part of the problem, but it doesn't always look that pretty :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor unveils special edition Magic Watch 2 with artists and designers

Adobe CC buying guide: January deals, pricing, new features & free trials

The 29 best Apple Watch apps

Les meilleurs aspirateurs robots (2020)