A good idea but I don't fancy her job

Cymro. 11:01 22 Jan 2019

BBC link

in the Royal Bournemouth Hospital, waiting times in A&E have fallen under a new initiative, which places a senior nurse near the front doors to turn away non-emergency patients.No-one is sent home under the policy, but simply redirected to GP clinics and pharmacies. It seems to be a good idea but I do wonder how well it works at weekends with all the drunken slobs turning up and becoming aggressive.

Aitchbee 12:30 22 Jan 2019

This is the sort of thing pub bouncers do, ie gently persuading people to go away!

Senior nurses are trained to nurse, ie. make people well again.

oresome 14:37 22 Jan 2019

Many people attend A&E because they can't get an appointment with their GP for several days.

My GP like many runs a system whereby you must ring between 08:00 and 08:30 on the day for available appointments. If there are none, you must ring again the following day.

Not sure how the early morning appointments ever get filled unless you happen to live within a stones throw of the surgery.

In my experience pharmacists are good at ticking boxes to claim money from the Government. Mine asked how many units of alcohol I drank. I asked how many units were in say a pint of beer or a glass of wine but she didn't know.

HondaMan 12:35 23 Jan 2019

Aitchbee, yes that's true but they are also well placed to decide if it is a genuine emergency or not. Very few doctor's appointments require immediate hospital admission and many A&E's would be freed up if all hospitals took this step to "filter out" the non urgent cases thus reducing waiting times

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)