A German Christmas video tear-jerker

hssutton 10:05 02 Dec 2015

A bit of a tear-jerker Christmas video. As it's in German you may have to read the text for full understanding.

German Christmas video

Aitchbee 11:33 02 Dec 2015
  spuds 11:59 02 Dec 2015

Aitchbee

A tear jerker indeed, but I truly wonder how many people will be sitting very much alone this Christmas, or any other times of the year, thinking why life is being so cruel to them.

It isn't only those who have a roof over their head, but also those truly homeless, and find that the so called support and caring is very hard to find, if at all.

In my hometown, there is a restaurant that opens its doors on Christmas day, for anyone in difficult circumstances, seeking a little company and a warm meal. The owner as been doing this for a number of years now, but the donations from business's seem to be getting more difficult, to the point that he can not longer offer the charity he does, with the very likelihood that his events are a thing in the past.

Forum Editor 19:16 02 Dec 2015

Loneliness is a major problem for huge numbers of people, and not just at Christmas, although it is obviously brought sharply into focus at this time.

Years ago - probably over 12 years - I spent an hour in the forum, just before going to bed on Christmas Eve. It was past midnight, and things were pretty quiet. I was about to switch off when I spotted a post from a regular contributor. He was desperate, and all alone - no family and by the sound of it no friends. He said he was drinking heavily, and was thinking of ending it all.

It affected me deeply, and I tried as best I could to tell him that he wasn't really alone when we were all here to 'talk' to him in the forum. It was a pretty lame argument but was all I could think of at the time. I went to bed feeling dreadful, and on Christmas morning I became embroiled in the usual family gathering.

The man was still contributing weeks later, so he had obviously thought better of it, much to my relief.

I still think him every year about now and your thread brought it all back in a big way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France