General enquiry about Section 75

exdragon 14:51 05 Apr 2018

Hi - if I pay for something over £100 on my credit card and then immediately pay it off by transferring money from another account, would I still be covered under Section 75 if something went wrong?

Pine Man 15:24 05 Apr 2018

Whether or not you pay, or have paid, the bill you are still protected if the item is faulty and the company won’t fix it, or in case the business goes bust before delivering your goods.

exdragon 15:56 05 Apr 2018

Thanks for that!

bumpkin 18:38 05 Apr 2018

If I buy a £10,000 car with a credit card and decide it is faulty, who resolves this issue as I can see that becoming quite complicated. I ask as I bought my last one with a debit card to which the rules do not apply. That had a few problems but fortunately I was able to resolve these amicably with the dealer.

Forum Editor 22:56 05 Apr 2018

"If I buy a £10,000 car with a credit card and decide it is faulty, who resolves this issue"

You don't decide whether or not a vehicle is faulty - it's obvious. If it is, the seller of the vehicle is liable to you in law, and you would only seek to invoke the section 75 protection if attempts to get the seller to remedy the problem have failed.

Section 75 protection only applies to credit purchases up to £30,000. After that you are not protected.

bumpkin 13:27 06 Apr 2018

You don't decide whether or not a vehicle is faulty - it's obvious.

It is obvious after the fault has occurred I agree, not necessarily obvious when one purchases it.

Quickbeam 17:05 06 Apr 2018

"Section 75 protection only applies to credit purchases up to £30,000. After that you are not protected."

Does that mean a purchase of £31k is fully unprotected, or only £1k is unprotected?

bumpkin 19:39 06 Apr 2018

Does that mean a purchase of £31k is fully unprotected, or only £1k is unprotected?

Hypothetical question anyway, either way they will wriggle out of it with some clause or another.

Forum Editor 22:46 06 Apr 2018

As I understand it, a purchase amounting to £31,000 would not be covered at all. Section 75 covers all purchases made by credit card between £100 and £30,000.

Quickbeam 04:49 07 Apr 2018

It was only a matter of interest as it's highly unlikely that I'll be making any card purchases exceeding£31k anytime soon!

pavvi 02:12 23 Apr 2018

It doesn't all have to be funded on the credit card. You can pay £100 on the card and pay the rest via any other means, the credit card is still jointly liable. With cars, it's more complicated as there are some items that can be deemed wear and tear - like clutches, brakes etc. If it is declined as a fault by the manufacturer/dealer/warranty company, this doesn't mean that the credit card company is bound to agree to be responsible for it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)