General David Petraeus quits as head of CIA

Flak999 00:51 10 Nov 2012

Another impeccable reputation destroyed! CIA director David Petraeus has resigned from his post, admitting he had an extra-marital affair.

What is it that drives men with so much to live up to and conversely so much to lose, to risk it all because of a younger, good looking woman?

The Generals wife!

The Generals mistress!!

Are men all so shallow that they will risk everything for the younger model?

Discuss!

rdave13 00:55 10 Nov 2012

It certainly looks that nature, being what it is, will certainly over rule the head. Possibly why there's so much of us on this planet.

Such is life.

kad60 05:27 10 Nov 2012

I think the real question here is why a man in such a sensitive position embarks upon an affair knowing that his dishonesty jeopardises the organisation and its workforce.

If he had shown the same 'guts' in stating to his wife their marriage was over as he did in the theatre of war this issue may not have arisen and his career would not be shattered.

carver 08:14 10 Nov 2012

So he is in charge of the CIA but the FBI where monitoring Mr Petraeus' email account.

And people say we have nothing to fear enter link description here

Flak999 14:26 10 Nov 2012

"that younger woman is much cuter than his wife, so given any encouragement you can see why he would stray."

There you have it in a nutshell! It would seem that no-matter what a mans position, nor how much he has to lose. The lure of the younger more attractive woman is like a siren call to (most?) men.

Also younger women who would in the ordinary state of affairs not look twice at some of the men that they eventually have sexual relationships with ( John Prescott, Bernie Ecclestone et al) are attracted to these men because of their power or their money, or both.

Is the urge in men to have sex so overwhelming, that all men given the opportunity would take the risk and be unfaithful if presented with the chance to have sex with a beautiful younger woman, regardless of what the probable consequences may be?

Is it as fourm member says just "human nature"

Flak999 14:48 10 Nov 2012

Woolwell

Working in close proximity away from home may have more to do with it than looks.

Do you really believe that?! Look at the pictures again, If the roles were reversed and the reporter had been his wife and his wife the reporter, can you honestly say you think he would have had the affair?

I don't think so!

Flak999 14:58 10 Nov 2012

Woolwell

I do disagree, but hey maybe that's my weakness for a pretty face showing through! ;-)

morddwyd 20:28 10 Nov 2012

"Is the urge in men to have sex so overwhelming, that all men given the opportunity would take the risk and be unfaithful if presented with the chance to have sex with a beautiful younger woman, regardless of what the probable consequences may be?"

No.

I have been married for fifty years, and in forty years in the forces I spent a lot of time away from home, and while I am no oil painting there were plenty of opportunities, some of them with very little effort on my part. Any serviceman will tell you the same.

The only time I was tempted was by a blonde with a Bonneville! My wife freely admits that she did take a fancy to a young bloke with a Harley!

rdave13 20:53 10 Nov 2012

fourm member that made me laugh. "Honour intact" indeed. Sounds like boasting.

morddwyd , you sound like the lucky many who's truly fallen in "love", whatever that means. I was married for 12 years and partner went off with another regardless of what the children needed or wanted. I went through a bit of hell but dusted myself down, eventually, and now living with a partner, we've three children, for the past 17 years.

Reminds me to ask her to marry me... maybe next year.

oresome 16:08 11 Nov 2012

There is no doubt that sex is an extremely powerful driving force, more so for men who are programmed to spread their seed as wide as possible.

Successful men in a career context are also probably more highly sexed. They have money, charisma and power which attracts many women and they have opportunity.

What they often lack is time. Time to devote to their partners and family and consequently their marriage is put under strain. Little wonder then that extra marital affairs probably occur more frequently in this social group.

Of course these affairs are reported because of their high profile nature. For all I know, Fred on the factory floor is quite some lothario and manages to keep it under wraps.

oresome 17:15 13 Nov 2012

Extract from the Guardian:

"The scandal involving former CIA director David Petraeus has deepened following allegations that another top US military commander, General John Allen, had sent thousands of "inappropriate" emails to a woman linked to Petraeus."

It seems these Generals have more time on their hands than I credited them with! I hope they put as much effort into fighting wars.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)