Hot Topics

Gas cooker--stiff taps

  SparkyJack 11:37 27 Jul 2014

Reccomendation to free them off please

  spuds 11:43 27 Jul 2014

Only one legal recommendation: Its a job for Gas Safe qualified engineer. For you to try, could put you in danger of prosecution if things go wrong. Aged UK have an handyman service at reasonable rates, perhaps they can help?.

  Aitchbee 12:17 27 Jul 2014

I would 'strike-whilst-the-oven-is-hot'.

Put your oven on maximum heat setting for 1 hour then turn off.

Any hardened grease that has accumulated between the plastic knobs and their metal 'slide-on' spindles will have melted.

Slide off the knobs and wash 'em in hot soapy water and allow to dry. Then slide 'em back on to their respective spindles.

A hand-held steam gun might also help.

  bumpkin 12:24 27 Jul 2014

A bit of WD40 is worth a try, if that fails then best to take spuds advice and get a registered gas engineer.

  SparkyJack 12:26 27 Jul 2014

I didn't say ,the item is a counter top hob So the oven' remedy does not apply.

Steamer will give that a go

  bumpkin 12:27 27 Jul 2014

Posted before I saw HBs reply which is also worth a try.

  bumpkin 12:34 27 Jul 2014

The knobs are normally push fit, so should come off easily then you can see what you are dealing with.

  wee eddie 12:50 27 Jul 2014


  Forum Editor 14:00 27 Jul 2014

There's only one correct lubricant for gas taps. It's called Rocol M23660.

Get it from Amazon, or your local plumbers merchant.

  bumpkin 15:18 27 Jul 2014

FE is correct, that is what you should use but not something most people have. Not urgent by the sound of things so suggest you get some it's not expensive.

  lotvic 15:22 27 Jul 2014

I pull them off, degrease/clean - and push them back onto spindle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huge discounts across Microsoft, HP, Acer & Asus in Amazon Summer Sale

Japanese fashion illustration makes for one dreamy catwalk

Tim Cook will face antitrust committee on 27 July

App Store : comment obtenir un remboursement ?