Free Wireless but will I get free EMail?

Cymro. 15:57 10 Dec 2018

The wife and I will be moving in to a new sheltered O.A.P. flat in January. The flats have Internet in the manager's office. This is available free of gharge to the tenants by wireless. Does this mean I can give up my B.T. Internet account and if I do how will I be able to send/receive EMails? It so happens I already have a GMail account and would be quite ready to dump B.T. and just go with Google.

Quickbeam 16:57 10 Dec 2018

Google is free, it does the job and needs no commitment to any particular ISP that would be a problem if the management changed ISP.

wee eddie 17:01 10 Dec 2018

If you fall out with Gmail you could always use Outlook.com

bremner 17:14 10 Dec 2018

I left BT back in June - they told me I would lose my access to my BT Email. I haven't to date.

I do not know if this is because mine was originally a Yahoo email circa 2009.

I would keep your settings for the BT Email and see what happens

lotvic 18:10 11 Dec 2018

Have you checked the speed and reliability of the 'free internet via wireless from manager's office' - will it meet your needs? and how secure will it be as you will be sharing the connection with everybody else.

wiganken2 08:13 12 Dec 2018

Free WiFi might be OK for general browsing but, because it is a Public WiFi type, I would not type user names and passwords. Public WiFi zones are notorious for being scanned by hackers. Avoid anything that requires typing-in Usernames and passwords.

Taff™ 08:37 17 Dec 2018

If you log into your BT mail account you will find an Autoresponse feature which will be sent to everyone who emails you ONCE every 3 days I think. Create a message that gives your Gmail address and a date when the BT account will terminate.

On some older legacy BT accounts as has been suggested, they do not turn them off.The norm however was 3 months when I last moved one of my clients away from BT. Now, BT will retain your email address mailbox at a price - check that out. I think it was £5 per month but is it worth it if you are not running a business and have less than 50 contacts?

Half of the emails you get are possibly from online shopping and spam. When you change your email addresses for those you wish to retain it's job done!

Cymro. 11:07 17 Dec 2018

Thanks for all the above advice. What I am now thinking of doing is to keep my current B.T. account at least for a few months and see how I get on with the free Internet access at the flat. If it all works out as it should at the flat then I can cancel my B.T. account and so save myself some money.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor View 20 review

How Esports branding got a brand new look

Best free Mac apps

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2019)