Forth bridge to open on time

Ungus 18:51 14 Dec 2015

Glad to see the brig will open on the 4th January weather permitting. Its not that I am down that way often but it has made things uncomfortable for some. At least the fly Fifers have made a shilling or two out of it especially after all the jokes about them. As they say you need a long spoon to sup kail we a Fifer. Hope it hasnt spoiled Xmas to much for the commuters and all will get back to normal.

morddwyd 10:04 15 Dec 2015

Since the initial forecast was "by the New Year" the 4th January is hardly "on time", and any prediction in the UK which is weather dependent is hardly a firm commitment!

While there has been an advantage to some Fife companies, there are fears that some, with much business in the Lothians, will go to the wall.

Since there is an operating ro-ro terminal at Rosyth it should not have been beyond the abilities of the Scottish government to adapt a similar facility at Leith, and do something useful instead of the usual posturing.

Govan1x 12:39 15 Dec 2015

I take it you all seen the crack on one of the main supports Must have been about 4 inches wide at one end. if it had opened any further they believe the road on the one side could have dropped down by a foot.

Just wonder what would have happened if they had not spotted it in time. Absolutely no idea as to how they could repair it as it would probably be impossible to remove the structure.

So basically closing it was the proper choice and not opening it till it is fixed is also the proper choice.

I believe it also said that it was supposed to have work done in that section about 4 years ago but it was stopped because of cut backs in spending from the Government.

Hate to think what might have happened if it had not been spotted.

Ungus 18:09 15 Dec 2015

Given x

Agree with all of that we should all stop castigating and be thank full it was discovered and no one got hurt. Better some invonvienence than injuries.

spuds 18:39 15 Dec 2015

"but it was stopped because of cut backs in spending from the Government."

And this seems to be the excuse every time, when it might be possible, that prevention or care could have been foretold, before things got to the point they have.

My local council have a very bad habit of saying, on any or most projects, that they were finished on time and within budget. Yet when challenged afterwards, about certain things missing etc, they then sheepishly admit, things were not as should have been, and funds had run out.

I have seen project's take place, and watching over these, I have often wondered about management control, and whether in some cases, they have actually been in control.

And unless challenged, some of the findings will never be known.

morddwyd 19:13 15 Dec 2015

"Just wonder what would have happened if they had not spotted it in time."

The road bed itself would have dropped between 6 inches and a foot according to engineering reports, necessitating closure for much longer.

Quickbeam 06:51 16 Dec 2015

"Since the initial forecast was "by the New Year" the 4th January is hardly "on time""

When it closed there was someone from the Scottish Hauliers pointing out that 'The New Year' was an unspecified date which could mean anytime from 1st January to early spring!

morddwyd 06:54 16 Dec 2015

"we should all stop castigating "

What with Parliamentary elections less that six months away? You must be joking.

Apart from the re-opening they won't hear much more of this in England, but there'll be much more of it in Scotland.

Could be there are cracks appearing in the SNPs sub-structure as well as the bridge.

As an arterial route this repair qualifies for EU funding. No sign of any application yet. Be interesting to see if the Brussels accountants agree with the statement that the cutbacks in maintenance funding had no effect on the failure!

Quickbeam 07:02 16 Dec 2015

We moved to Dunfermline in 1966 and one of the 'to do' things at the time was to walk over the new (2 years old) bridge. As a 10 year old this was fascinating to see the rail bridge and the recent signs of the closed ferries, and on the way back looking down at the busy Rosyth Naval Dockyard.

It seems strange that I may see the final demise of this iconic bridge in my lifetime when General Wade's Bridge at Aberfeldy which is two centuries old is expected to remain for several more centuries...

john bunyan 09:02 16 Dec 2015

I believe, today, that that nice Mr Swinney is announcing a mini budget, where he has discretion on the first 10% of income tax. I wonder if he will raise it to alleviate austerity for the poor, lower it and cut spend to pay for it, or do nothing so as to keep votes? He could spend a bit to hurry bridge 2 along.

Incidentally his uncle is a posthumous Royal Marine VC winner, Tom Hunter, so he canna be too bad! (Said he, hoping to tweak a spiders web for Christmas)

morddwyd 10:57 16 Dec 2015

"I believe, today, that that nice Mr Swinney is announcing a mini budget, where he has discretion on the first 10% of income tax. I wonder if he will raise it to alleviate austerity for the poor, lower it and cut spend to pay for it, or do nothing so as to keep votes?"

It's not a mini-budget but a full one.

Rumour (i.e. leaks) has it that income tax will remain unchanged. He's had the power to change income tax since 1988, but never used it. The new powers simply develop the context. He'd be a fool to mess with it so close to an election.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?