forced to have the videos

Sapins 08:09 17 Mar 2018
Answered

I am getting fed up with the videos that pop up on every new page. Why are we forced to have them? I know its easy to delete them (Until the next page!) but I like to choose what I have on my computer. I will soon do without the site altogether.

bremner 08:52 17 Mar 2018

The subject was recently discussed in this forum Click Here

Sapins 09:35 17 Mar 2018

Thanks for the link bremner, I think I will probably withdraw from the site.

Govan1x 11:59 17 Mar 2018

Sapins if you use 2 Browsers turn of java on one of them we have been told and you do not get the videos. So use one for browsing and the other for posting. I believe you cannot post anything on the one with java turned off. So handy if you are just looking. never tried it so do not know if it works or not.

martd7 12:21 17 Mar 2018

At the end of the day do we want to keep this forum running? As FE regularly says,the ads pay to keep this site available,the magazine format of PCAs gone I don't want to see the forum version disappear

I use Adblock plus with IE11,it doesn't stop all the ads or video,but makes the forum usable

bumpkin 16:30 17 Mar 2018

Sapins if you use 2 Browsers turn of java on one of them we have been told and you do not get the videos. So use one for browsing and the other for posting. I believe you cannot post anything on the one with java turned off. So handy if you are just looking.

That is what I do and it works fine for me.

Forum Editor 11:10 18 Mar 2018

I'm sorry you feel as you do, Sapins - you've been with us for a very long time, and you will be missed if you leave us.

The subject of advertising has been discussed on dozens of occasions, and our response is both boringly predictable and totally accurate.

Since we ceased publishing the dead tree version of our magazine, we have (in common with many similar businesses) become entirely dependent on advertising revenue. Without advertising we would cease to exist, and all of us would be off the air for good.

LastChip 13:20 18 Mar 2018
Answer

I'm afraid Sapins, advertising is the price you pay for free access.

Nothing is free in life - even Tech Advisor.

I have to admit though, I do find those videos intrusive and really annoying, which is why I don't spend so much time on here as I used to.

The danger is, a site looses visitors because of overly aggressive advertising. It's a fine line to tread and I for one, am very pleased I don't have to make that decision. Loosing advertising equals loosing revenue. It's a spiral staircase, one way or the other.

Sapins 13:22 18 Mar 2018

I have been monitoring the adverts and I have reached the conclusion that I like the forum more than a few adverts that I can delete easily! So, I am going to continue and remain.

Flat Earther 15:41 18 Mar 2018

I thought Sapins would love online adverts after investing in the totally legitimate banners broker.

Quickbeam 15:56 18 Mar 2018

I don't use my phone much for access now because it's too draining on page loading speed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?