A flickering LED liight is that possible

bumpkin 20:38 24 Oct 2018

I have replaced most of my old home lighting with LEDs including some fluorescents. This was done about a year ago but now one of the 4ft tubes that replaced the old type has started flickering. I thought that an LED could only be on or off. I have checked the connections and they seem Ok. Any suggestions?

I don’t mind getting a new unit but I have never seen this before with LED.

Aitchbee 21:34 24 Oct 2018

You have answered your own question, bumpkin.

Nothing lasts forever.

Belatucadrus 22:27 24 Oct 2018

Could be a fault in the starter. Try swapping the starter from the flickering unit with one that's OK, see if the fault moves with the starter or stays put with the tube.

wee eddie 22:55 24 Oct 2018

I didn't think that LEDs needed a Starter

Govan1x 23:16 24 Oct 2018

Looks like Amazon dealer gives a 3year warranty So maybe check to see if you get the same warranty.

3 YEAR LAMP GUARANTEE - INCLUDES LED TUBE 22 WATT [Energy Class A+]

Belatucadrus 23:20 24 Oct 2018

I didn't think that LEDs needed a Starter

Depends on the bulb type, bayonet and screw fix incandescent bulb alternatives don't. The low voltage reflector type may need a new transformer as the old unit designed for halogen bulbs will be designed for a much higher wattage output and some have problems operating smoothly at low outputs causing bulb flicker. The LED tubes used to substitute for the old fluorescent units still need a starter, usually I believe supplied with the tube and if it's not the only such installation in the house easy enough to check.

carver 12:00 28 Oct 2018

L E D lights start to flicker when failing, if you drive a lot you may notice a lot of new cars with L E D lights may have same problem. I ve noticed that the LED lights in our house last about 18 months and thats it. And if you have a 3 year guarantee you have to send the LED back to the manufacture because the shop only gives you a 12 month warranty and that means yo have no light to replace it with.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL