Fancy having a go at the French?

Cymro. 14:11 29 Aug 2018

BBC link

They do say that history repeats itself well this time it's France rather then Iceland. I have not read the whole article and as always there are two sides etc. I suppose some of you aren't old enough to remember the Iceland/U.K. cod war back in 1958 and again 1976. I wonder what newspapers like the Sun and Mail made of it then and what they make of it this time. I don't suppose they will take any better to the French than they then did to the Icelanders.

Forum Editor 15:41 29 Aug 2018

No, I don't.

wee eddie 19:39 29 Aug 2018

I have considerable sympathy with the French Fishermen on this occasion.

They are not allowed to fish that ground until after the spawning season, so that the stock is not unnecessarily depleted.

Almost all wild animals, fish and birds, are left to breed in peace. Our Fishermen were fishing the Bank "Out of Season". We should be castigating them for risking the breeding habitat of the Scallops.

It is plain stupid, what our boys are/were doing, effectively destroying the breeding stock of scallops for future fishing.

It's a bit like a German trawler, coming to Whitstable and dredging for Oysters, when there isn't an "R" in the month. That's the way we recognise when the Oyster breeding season is, by the way.

Old Deuteronomy 20:01 29 Aug 2018

Almost all wild animals, fish and birds, are left to breed in peace. Our Fishermen were fishing the Bank "Out of Season". We should be castigating them for risking the breeding habitat of the Scallops.

The trouble is they are legally permitted to fish for scallops there, a month before the French.

I think the French are right, even if their methods leave something to be desired. It always seems fisherman will only be sensible about how many fish they catch, where and when, if forced by law.

bumpkin 20:36 29 Aug 2018

I am no Francophile but on this occassion I do think they have a point though possibly not the way to deal with it. To give the French some credit, if they think something is unfair they do something about it, unlike us, now too scared to say boo to a goose in case it offends them.

john bunyan 07:58 30 Aug 2018

The Financial Times headline starts “Crasn,bang, scallop , French and British boats stir up fishing war” . For a stuffy paper , quite a change.

I agree with those who have sympathy for the French views

john bunyan 07:59 30 Aug 2018

Crasn = crash sorry

rickf 08:58 30 Aug 2018

Conservation and preservation of stock seems of very little concern to the British. Although they are legally allowed to fish there, I think the French do have a very good point. With these big ships that we have the sea will be depleted of stocks very soon. Michael Gove, the environment seems to missed the point.

alanrwood 09:30 30 Aug 2018

I'm with rickf on this. This dredge fishing is sheer vandalism of the sea bed.

hastelloy 11:52 31 Aug 2018

It seems crazy to me that our fishermen are legally allowed to fish there when the French aren't. Apparently there are places where the reverse applies. Surely any rules should apply equally to all.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs