faith schools get green light to expand

Cymro. 10:35 11 May 2018

BBC link

Personally I am very much against any sort of faith schools believing that the indoctrination of our children in any religion is just wrong. So can anyone please justify such things to me. It so happens that I am an atheist and I never tried to push my children in to religion thinking it best left to them what if anything they wanted to believe in. It has just occurred to me that religion may be a subject that is not permitted on this Forum but the standard of debate is not always up to much so perhaps it needs livening up a bit. I dare say F.E. will soon put a stop to it if he feels so inclined.

Pine Man 11:22 11 May 2018

I am with you on this one.

I don't profess to be an atheist but having seen, and been involved in, some pretty horrendous stuff, it is hard to believe that some 'higher being' planned it all and it was carried out just to test us!

What really gets to me are the parents who have no religious beliefs then all of a sudden they start appearing at church to get their children into one of these faith schools.

I had a quick scan on the Forum Rules and I think we are ok..........................at the moment.

Cymro. 11:27 11 May 2018

Thanks for that Pine Man I really should get to grips with reading the rules on these things. As with instructions that come in the box I am rather apt to ignore such things.

alanrwood 14:38 11 May 2018

I am also against the religious indoctrination of children in faith schools and I include Christian, Jewish as well as Muslim schools.

Forum Editor 15:51 11 May 2018

"As with instructions that come in the box I am rather apt to ignore such things."

Don't worry, I'm here to make sure you don't cross a line. Our relevant forum rule says we will not permit posts that exhibit religious intolerance, and so far you are not guilty of that. You have a perfect right to say you're an atheist - just don't say anything that denigrates the religious beliefs of others.

Many of us went to what are now called Faith schools - we attended C of E primary schools, and were taught about Christianity as it is practiced by the Church of England. Nowadays, such schools take a far more inclusive view, although they still tend towards C of E teachings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 11 May 2018

Children should be given an unbiased view of the belief systems of other cultures and taught to respect and tolerate other people's religious views.

Maybe then there would be less conflict in the world.

HondaMan 21:09 11 May 2018

I'm with Fruit Bat /\0/\ on this one

bumpkin 21:26 11 May 2018

Children should be given an unbiased view of the belief systems of other cultures and taught to respect and tolerate other people's religious views.

I entirely agree if all cultures/religions do the same, so it will never happen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:25 11 May 2018

Many years ago, killing time at work, I sat with a Sikh who explain why has was supposed to carry (wear) 5 items (the 5 Ks) click here found it very enlightening.

Chat with a few people of different religious beliefs and you'll soon find there is't much difference between the major faiths.

Always liked Dave Allen's parting line "Goodnight and may your God go with you"

;0)

Quickbeam 08:19 12 May 2018

I've always thought that schools should only do education, and if a parent wants religion teaching, do it in their own non-school time,

Leave education and religion unconnected.

Cymro. 10:45 12 May 2018

F.E. just don't say anything that denigrates the religious beliefs of others.

Thanks for that F.E. the problem is that some of these religions leave themselves wide open to denigration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder