F1 to be shared by BBC & Sky

Quickbeam 18:23 29 Jul 2011

I think you know what I think of Sky, what do you make of a shared coverage with not all the race live on free to air?

Sky grab

Quickbeam 09:07 30 Jul 2011

Still using the newspaper analogy, if you could only source news from one paper only, we'd see the monopolies commission stepping in. How many sports must Sky control before we see OfSky being set up to care for the viewers fair value for money access to non-footie sports?

It's not that I'm totally against Sky, and I accept that pay to watch is here to stay, it's their restrictive access that only offers an all or nothing option and sod everyone else attitude.

morddwyd 11:26 30 Jul 2011

"How many sports must Sky control before we see OfSky being set up to care for the viewers fair value for money"

It's not Sky that is controlling sport, but the money men.

No-one is interested in giving viewers value for money, it's the shareholders who are important - the viewers, as with all paying customers, are simply a means to that end

morddwyd 19:29 30 Jul 2011

cocteau48

Exactly what I do, and for the same reason!

Aitchbee 19:43 30 Jul 2011

The lads from Top Gear would not touch it with a proverbial...much more entertaining is TG...Formula One is pants.

Noldi 09:16 31 Jul 2011

I think its all about how much money goes in Bernie's pocket and he will pass some on to the teams. The problem is the sponsor money is all based on viewing figures so they could lose out and the tire supplier could walk away. Lets see.

Noldi

Quickbeam 09:18 31 Jul 2011

F1 without tyres, that would make for interesting cornering techniques...

Quickbeam 11:02 31 Jul 2011

I'm just looking at that myself, although a bit of a faff, it may give me what I want for the test matches.

Is anyone receiving them on that, and if so, is it receiving well?

Noldi 17:12 31 Jul 2011

"F1 without tyres, that would make for interesting cornering techniques"

Well Pirelli only do it to sell thier product and if they dont think the amuont of time thier Logo is visable on the tv times the number of viewers they will pull out and go else where, and if Pirelli dont want it im sure Bridgestone or others wont find it attractive.

Noldi

OTT_B 18:00 31 Jul 2011

"After all they're looking at people with high disposable income, so us freeloading BBC viewers are probably not their target market...

Why does needing new car tyres require a high disposable income, and how are BBC viewers 'freeloading'?

CurlyWhirly 18:47 31 Jul 2011

Noldi - I think its all about how much money goes in Bernie's pocket and he will pass some on to the teams. Bernie Ecclestone will be happy as he's getting money from the BBC and Sky now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)